Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Human Flag

Kiyoshi

Ok, so I decided that I wanted to learn and work on the human flag now. I have a good amount of strength already but I'm having trouble even beginning the training for human flag. I cant even hold a tuck human flag without falling after 1 sec.

How can I progress up into a human flag? Can you all tell me what exercises will assist me, I know handstand pushups and pullups help. What is the best way for going about human flag training? If you all could tell me progressions and that , I would appreciate it. Thanks :D

Michael Miskelly

This is something I would eventually like to be able to do myself, don't know if I can personally help you but try this article: http://beastskills.com/Flag.htm

He emphasises that this is a press with the bottom arm and the top arm doesn't really pull so you may want to focus on pressing movements along with core strengthening. My main problem is that I can't find a suitable place to do it and so I have just decided to leave it on the back burner at the minute. Also it will probably be easier to attain when you get the FSP's sorted, I'm guessing that the straight body stuff like levers will be trasferable. Gymgreg is doing one in his current profile pic, hopefully he will chip in and give some advice.

Ring work, such as bulgarian pushups and support stance, as it's definitely a matter of shoulder strength of the bottom arm.

I think succes in the human flag is highly a matter of oblique strength - when I try to do one I feel that my legs sag long before my supporting shoulder fatigues. I suppose this is why coach put windshield whipers in the oblique section in the book :)

I don't have any experience in this, but I would think working up the progressions from the oblique section would help you!

By the way, this is my first post after reading on this forum for months so hello to everyone! :D

This proffesional acrobat, Dominic Lacasse has a youtube video on this and seeing as he is the world record holder on the subject I found this to be particularly useful. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdirSCSfsg I vouch for the video because I already have results with this. The behind the back pull ups like none other and the wide handstand push ups contribute amazingly as well! I can hold a tuck flag for about ten seconds and am working on extending my legs. I just began this training for it in my routine about 3 or weeks ago and its been off and on, nevertheless I feel this guy knows what he is talking about. I will post a video of me doing this as soon as I can hold the full flag for at least ten seconds. Good luck!

yuri marmerstein

Dominic Lacasse, the world record holder in human flag suggests to do lots of wide arm pullups and handstand pushups

personally, I learned it by kicking up into it on every street sign or parking meter I walked by. at first i couldn't hold it and fell every time but later i started to build up the strength.

Yeah I have seen his videos, and I can do those and will work on wide arm HSPU . But I also want to know how to progress into a human flag in general. I cant even hold the tuck for 1 sec. So I just keep falling and cant get in any direct practice of human flag. Ive seen a standing human flag variation but I dont know to get into that one either. Any help on the actual human flag progressions , (tuck, straddle, full) rather than complementary exercises? Thanks

... But I also want to know how to progress into a human flag in general. I cant even hold the tuck for 1 sec ...

You need to achieve the basic FSP (60 sec floor L-sit etc) before you will have a reasonable chance of success with the side lever. You must learn to walk before you can run.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

... But I also want to know how to progress into a human flag in general. I cant even hold the tuck for 1 sec ...

You need to achieve the basic FSP (60 sec floor L-sit etc) before you will have a reasonable chance of success with the side lever. You must learn to walk before you can run.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the reply coach sommer, I'm still working on the FSP everyday. I will do my best