Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

equivalent of one arm pull up

meep

what does everyone think the equivalent of the oap is in terms of pushing strength? one arm dips? one arm head stand push ups? I like to try and keep a balanced body ( very hard as a rock climber) and have been training for some time towards a oap and would like to start working towards the pushing equivalent.

One arm dips seems quite impossible to me..

I think the One Arm Push-up is a nice eqavuilent, a bit easier maybe..

just about any one who can do 20 normal push ups and do a bad looking one arm push up, a oap is another level completely in my opinion. one arm dips are possible ( not on the rings i don't think) and so are one arm headstand push ups, but I'm now thinking that maybe a one arm press and handstand are more the equivalent. I'm not talking about short term achievable moves as i have been training the oap for 5 months with progress I'm just still a long way off (i think).

Guest Chiflado

Well there is such a thing as a GOOD one arm pushup. If you want to make it more difficult try it one arm and one leg (say you're doing the pushup with the right arm... lift the right leg) a one arm one foot good

form pushup takes some good strength. But as far as an equivalent... I'm not sure as I'm not all that knowledgeable. :P So maybe wait for someone with more knowledge and experience.

A strict one arm push up is really, really hard.

If you can do a strict one arm, one leg push up, you're doing pretty damn well.

While I don't know whether these are anywhere near equivalent to a one arm pull up, working them will do a great deal to bring your body back into balance.

I don't know about bodyweight exercises, but if you can do a one-arm military press with 3/5 of your BW or more, that's definitely equivalent.

• 2 months later...

As someone who can do a one-arm/one-leg for multiple reps without too much difficulty I can easily state that a one arm chin/pullup is WAY more advanced. One particular thing that you "have" to go through when trying to accomplish a one arm chin is elbow tendonitis, which I (as well as many others) have never experienced trying out for the one arm pushup. Something that makes the one arm pushup a lot easier than a one arm chin/pull is that your legs are on the ground and give an extra sense of stability (both in your limb and your core).

In conclusion, I would say the pushing equivalent to a one arm chin would be a one arm HSPU.

After some research, I have found people working on one arm HSPU with one hand elevated or by kipping it from an one arm elbow planche. I've heard of some people doing it against the wall ( just to Headstand ), but not full ROM or free.

I have seen footage of one arm dips before and this is probably easier than a 1 arm HSPU. I do hear both can cause elbow tendonitis like OAC.

This is what I feel in my experience: One arm handstand pushup is ways harder then a one arm chinup/pullup. Generally speaking vertical pulling strength when training with vertical pressing, vertical pulling will be a stronger move where you can use more weight.

As far as an equivalent to a one arm chinup, I think a strict one arm pushup is similar to a one arm chinup, but that could be because I got both at around the same time.

If You want to maintain a balanced body then, in my opinion, do not look for a strict equivalent of an OAP, instead do handstand pushups shoulder wide (hands in front) and wide (head goes between the arms) the later are easier, if they become easy then increase the range of movement, You should try one arm variations only after You master regular HSPU's in full ROM, and I guarantee that they will give Your shoulders a severe beating.

Guest Ido Portal

There is no need to be fanatical with balancing the OAC. A good solution is exactly what I practice:

one arm chin ups

full ROM (between pbars, rings, chairs) free standing HSPU

one arm handstands (non supported of course)

The combination between non supported HSPU with both arms and non supported one arm handstand will produce amazing results. (balance on one arm will take care of arm&shoulder stabilizers to an amazing degree and together with the pushing muscles working in the hspu it will take you a long way)

If you cannot stand on one arm non supported and do more than 10 reps in the full ROM non supported HSPU you have no buisness training one arm hspu. Be humble.

Ido Portal.

Edward Smith

Great advice Ido. Plus I reckon the pull up is an exercise that isn't really going to give the problems of muscular imbalance (pain, injury, etc) unless taken to an absolute extreme i.e being able to do a OAC and only being able to dip your bodyweight (no added weight). (No scientific backing, just a thought).

Ido, how much can you overhead press (military, bent, pick your favorite)?

Ed

Nic Scheelings

Ido,

I was wondering if i could get some advice. I'm currently training the OAC quite consistently (i'm doing weighted negatives at the moment) however i'm not capable of freestanding HSPU or a one armed HS which u recommend for balancing the movement. I can do full range ROM HSPU while supported tho, will this be enough to balance the movement? If u could give me some advice on how best to balance out training for the OAC it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Ido Portal

Ed, I havent touched a weight, besides lower body training, in two years, but I can easly one hand press (not side press, strict) above 40 kg. (I'm 65-67 kg bw)

Demus, it is not a must to free balance, I just think it is a very good counter movement, since your oac is free balanced also.

(you have to use the rotator cuffs, core, etc to balance the rotation while hanging and chinning)

BTW, in my training for the oac I never concentrated on a lot of ecc action. as a result i'm able to chin with one arm, but I'm not a master of ecc work in the chin up. This choice was made in order to limit hypertrophy (eccentrics create a lot of hypertrophy) and I now believe that even though there is a trasfer between ecc and concentric actions it is not as efficient as training the concentric motion itself. Not as a primary exercise at least, supplementing with ecc work is good.

Nic Scheelings

Thanks very much Ido,

I have been training the eccentric movement a lot, perhaps too much, as i'm good at them but still find i can only do about 3/4 of an oac. I'll add more assisted chin movements and hopefully success in one month!

Guest Ido Portal

A good advice for someone who can do parial movement in the one arm chin is to blast with isometrics at the appropriate weak angle.

If you can start from hang but cannot put chin above the bar, work iso's of 5-10 seconds in multiple sets above the bar.

If you can do one arm chin but not from a complete hang, work iso's of 5-10 seconds just above lockout (135-170 degree elbow flexion) with the shoulder in and the lats engaged and then lower to complete lockout and add another 5 second in this position.

If you follow this routine and you are realy in the point of 3/4 oac, you will complete it within a month time.