Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Enough time in statics

Kyle Courville

Kyle Courville

After realizing how many people injure themselves with statics I decided I ratheer play it on the safe side all the way to the end result. I don't care if I take almost twice as long, at least I will have strong synergists. 8) I am rehabbing a shoulder.It isn't too bad, but its bad enough. Below is a chart of progressions and the amount of time I wish to spend in them when I start the WOD. I would enjoy critique especially if I should spend more time in a certain progression. My ultimate goal is to be freakishly strong and fast :twisted: , not to have a planche. Sure, a planche is nice, but I rather not injure myself tring to attain it. I personally think a high manna is cooler than a planche. :D

Front Lever

Tuck-3 months

Flat Tuck- 6 mon

Straddle- 6 mon

Half- 8 mon

Back Lever

German hang- 3 months

Tuck- 3 mon

Flat Tuck- 6 mon

Straddle- 6 mon

Half- 6 mon

Planche

Frogstand- 2 months

Adv. Frogstand- 4 mon

Tuck- 8 mon

Flat Tuck- 10 mon

Straddle- 12 mon

Half- 12 mon

High Manna

MSH bent - 4 months

MSH low- 4 mon

MSH- 18 mon

Manna- 24 mon

• 2 weeks later...
Joshua Naterman

Nothing wrong with that! I hope the times work out. The important thing is to stick to that cautiously enthusiastic mindset! I've been working almost nothing but flat tuck FL and I am ALMOST back to being able to do XR FL full lay. Of course, you won't see me training that regularly for at least a year, and by then I'll have quite a solid hold.

Aaron Griffin

I would imagine you can't predict the time that the strength will take. Use the Steady State measurements from the book - go 8-12 weeks in a position, and then test for a maximum time. Vary based on that test

Kyle Courville
I would imagine you can't predict the time that the strength will take. Use the Steady State measurements from the book - go 8-12 weeks in a position, and then test for a maximum time. Vary based on that test

Since I have been doing GB for over a year I do know the strength it would take. Before my recent shoulder flare up I could hold a tuck planche for 45 sec and a flat tuck for 8 sec. My Front lever was borderline straddle, and I was beginning to push my hips forward in the MSH. I am programming my statics to rebuild up to my previous progress without reinjury; the posted times are minimums that I will spend in the progressions. If I need more time in my progression I will not hesitate to put it. Thanks for your concern, phrak.

Joshua Naterman

You're going to find that concentrating heavily on scapular retraction work and shoulder mobility drills with straight bars, stall bars and dowels will really help you a lot in your goals! If nothing else, do the inlocates and exlocates with dowels. No grinding! take it easy and progress slowly, and practice every day. There are a lot of videos up on how to do this on youtube, but I would suggest getting to one of the next GB seminars if you can. You will learn so, so much about this stuff.

I am finding that this emphasis is leading to dramatic strength gains. Coach was apparently blown away by my improvement from May to now, and I guarantee you that I'm going to really make waves next May, and it's going to be because of this focus on the pre-hab, flexibility/mobility and joint balancing.

Kyle Courville
You're going to find that concentrating heavily on scapular retraction work and shoulder mobility drills with straight bars, stall bars and dowels will really help you a lot in your goals! If nothing else, do the inlocates and exlocates with dowels. No grinding! take it easy and progress slowly, and practice every day. There are a lot of videos up on how to do this on youtube, but I would suggest getting to one of the next GB seminars if you can. You will learn so, so much about this stuff.

I am finding that this emphasis is leading to dramatic strength gains. Coach was apparently blown away by my improvement from May to now, and I guarantee you that I'm going to really make waves next May, and it's going to be because of this focus on the pre-hab, flexibility/mobility and joint balancing.

Thanks for the advise I will definitely add more scapular retraction and dislocates as soon as possible. Right now I am mostlly focusing on rotator cuff and shoulder stability. I am also currently doing pull ups, dips, and german hangs. Thanks to your video I started doing deeper german hangs, and they really make my shoulders feel great. I am currently saving money to go to a seminar at the end of my senior year. I can't wait to learn everything Coach has to offer. As always, thanks for your truly helpful advice Slizzardman.

Joshua Naterman

You are very welcome! You're going to love the seminar when you get there! Absolutely get all 3 days. You're always able to do the first one to see how you like it and pay for the second and/or third while you're there, at least so far that's been the case, but I can tell you for sure that you're going to want all 3 days.

I wish there was some way to get access to this information other than attending the seminar. I know the second a pay for view video gets up it would be set up for illegal download so its a shame thats not an option. I'd be happy to pay for the seminar but the cost+travel+vacation time used makes it unlikely for a few years. Would coach be willing to distribute seminar notes for a donation to his program as long as I promise not to share.

I'll just have to keep waiting patiently like everyone else for the next volumes :D

Joshua Naterman

I don't know. As this program and this website continues to expand other options are being considered, but at the moment I don't think anything like that is available. I do think it would be good for anyone who feels that way to let that be known, because the more we all know what people want the more informed decisions regarding how information is available will be. I wouldn't expect anything any time in the near future, but you never know.

Seminar notes are complicated. What Coach has is extreme shorthand and that's to prompt his memory. It would do me, you, and everyone else absolutely no good. My notes are much more drawn out, and as I get them typed I will get them to Coach in an attempt to perhaps create and maintain some kind of presentation to give to the seminar attendees and veterans. Many people miss things in their notes or forget what they mean. Being a full time student means I won't be accomplishing that any time soon, but I'm hoping to have something reasonable by next summer. I will start allocating 30-60 minutes a day 4-5 days a week to typing my notes. Even then, such a thing would only be available to attendees unless you somehow convince Coach to make an exception.

I don't know. As this program and this website continues to expand other options are being considered, but at the moment I don't think anything like that is available. I do think it would be good for anyone who feels that way to let that be known, because the more we all know what people want the more informed decisions regarding how information is available will be. I wouldn't expect anything any time in the near future, but you never know.

Seminar notes are complicated. What Coach has is extreme shorthand and that's to prompt his memory. It would do me, you, and everyone else absolutely no good. My notes are much more drawn out, and as I get them typed I will get them to Coach in an attempt to perhaps create and maintain some kind of presentation to give to the seminar attendees and veterans. Many people miss things in their notes or forget what they mean. Being a full time student means I won't be accomplishing that any time soon, but I'm hoping to have something reasonable by next summer. I will start allocating 30-60 minutes a day 4-5 days a week to typing my notes. Even then, such a thing would only be available to attendees unless you somehow convince Coach to make an exception.

Once I started the WOD's I realize what a privilege it is to not have to do any of my own programming. I just get to train hard and do what I'm told. Just wish it could be that way with my prehab/flexibility as well. I don't mind being patient though.

• 2 weeks later...
Kyle Courville

My shoulder is now about 90-95%. I am doing shoulder rehab/prehab twice a day. My shoulders feel great, and today I decided to start the WODs again. I'll greatly scale all the work especially pushing. I am now at square one for the second and last time. :oops: I will take my training slow and seriously. No more excuses, ever. :arrow: (If you catch me being slopopy feel free to quote that. :lol: ) Now that first things are first, like my shoulder health, I decided to postpone any real planche and handstand training until after highschool. I will only go work up to advanced frogstand until my last year of baseball. After baseball is over, gymnastics and handbalancing will be my number one training priority. :twisted: