Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When to move on to rings

Colonelstovis

Colonelstovis

Hello,

I am currently working my way through the various progressions and am near completion of my 2nd 12 week steady state cycle. I'm doing chin up flex statics, dip statics, planche statics, front lever statics, l-sits and straddle-l's each followed by the corresponding dynamic movement, all of which done on straight bars(where appropriate). The l-sits, dip and chin up statics are all either at 60 second holds all very close and i was wondering if now would be the time to start on rings or should i wait until other holds such as the front lever are also up to that duration? Thanks to any people who respond.

Joshua Naterman

You should go ahead and start on the rings as soon as possible. You will have to scale things down on the rings at first, so I would suggest that you give yourself a 3-4 week period to slowly switch to doing 50% of your work on the rings. At first, even a ring support will be almost impossible, but that's just because your nervous system doesn't know what to do yet. It takes a week or two to get used to the rings support.

You're doing well, good work!

I think you're easily strong enough to be doing the WODs, so when you get yourself some rings it would be great to see you join the fun!

Colonelstovis

Thanks for that slizzardman, i'll start hunting for some rings + get to work immediately. Your advice is much appreciated, i'll let you know how i get on. Also was unsure about the WODs and if i was at the right skill/strength level for them so you answered that too! Cheers dude.

Colonelstovis

In response to Indy, yes that is correct, similar to the support position on rings, except done on parallel bars, I figured it would be a good way to work up to the ring work.

Joshua Naterman

It is. a 30s parallel/dip bar support with straight arms is required as an absolute minimum before you start screwing with the rings and 60s is what you should really have to be solid.

If I were you Colonel, I'd start working a bottom dip hold as well. This will help you a lot when you start doing muscle up preparation. You'll want your shoulders as close to your hands as possible with a straight body. You will have a very, very slight incline forward but that's it. No bending at the waist or hips! This should be approached as more of a stretch than a hold. This helps condition the shoulders and triceps for that stretched position, and will serve as prep for a diamond or close grip push up bottom hold, which helps prepare the elbows for muscle up transitions quite well.

Colonelstovis

That makes sense. I'm about to finish a steady state cycle then take a week off before begining a new one so i'll work that in to it. Thanks slizzardman, once again, much appreciated!