Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Planche progress is very slow, please help

Hiten

Good day to you all

It's one of my goals to be able to hold a straddle planche. My progress on the planche is very, very slow. Sometimes it feels like I'm not making any progress. I've been doing planche training for over a year now (admittedly, I only started training properly very recently) but it still feels like I should be progressing faster. I can currently hold a planche which is not quite a tuck planche, but not quite an advanced tuck planche either. It's somewhere in the middle.

My current routine is this, which I do once or twice a week.

7 times 8 second holds plus 1 times 4 second hold= total of 60 seconds. This is followed by 3 sets of psuedo planche pushups of which I do 5 reps. I've been doing this routine for about 8 or 9 workouts now but it doesn't feel like it's getting much easier.

Please help. Should I try and grease the groove with it or something?

8 or 9 workouts? That is what, 2 or 3 weeks? Keep training. Planche is a very long road. How long have you been training.

As Hiten asked, how is your back lever and L-sit?

I would reduce it to 3 sets of 10 seconds for the planche holds, and do that 3 times/week instead. Do the planche PUs maybe once/week. If you're still not progressing lower the volume 50% each 3rd workout. It sounds very much like you're stressing yourself too much and not getting enough recovery.

What else are you training other than planche? What other exercises do you do and how many times/week do you train?

trianglechoke 7

I have no access to a bar where I can do back levers. As for l-sits, I can do about 30 seconds on paralletes and maybe 10 seconds on floor.

Blairbob, it's been about 4 weeks following that routine. The total time I've been training the planche for has been just over a year, but I used to train till failure untill I read coach's book.

roman, yeah I'm going to try and reduce the sets and see how that goes. I train 4-6 days a week, depending on how busy I am. My strength routine is like this.

Workout A=planch holds, psuedo planche pushups, weighted one leg squats, wrist/forearm work

WorkoutB=Assisted one arm pullups, weighted one leg squats, wrist/forearm work

WorkoutC=tuck front lever holds, one leg squats, wrist/forearm work

I do workout B on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Sundays, Tuesdays and Thursdays are workout A or C. So if it's workout A on Sunday, then it's C on tuesday, then back to A on Thursday. On top of this I'm greasing the groove with headstand pushups and grip work. I also do dragon flags for the core, but do these at a seperate time of the day. For conditioning, which I also do at a seperate time of day, I do sprints, jump rope, and boxing type workouts. I don't train till failure and do 3-5 reps.

Neal Winkler

Work on your floor l-sits and come up with a way to do back levers. You need to get some rings. Make them if you have to. Then work up to a full back lever and your progress on the planche will be much better.

• 4 weeks later...

Time for an update

I've reduced it to only 4 sets of 8 second holds now, and only 2 sets of 3-5 psuedo planche pushups with only 1 set every third workout. Instead of 1-2 times a week I now train the planche 2-3 times a week. I've started doing l-sits on the floor and can do 2 sets of about 20 seconds. Since I made this change it feels like I have started to progress again. I'm still a long way off but I feel like my back is a lot straighter now and although it's not quite an advanced tuck planche yet, it's almost there. I stil have no place for to do a back lever but will probably build a pullup bar in the near future. Thanks for the help and I will keep you updated on my progress.