Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Relationship of pelvic tilt and shoulder activation

Magnus Sigurdsson

Magnus Sigurdsson

Dear all, @Coach Sommer I’ve had a history of anterior pelvic tilt and shoulder disfunction. 

I’ve noticed that if I actively engage in posterior pelvic tilt, my shoulder mobility and muscle activation changes drastically. My amount of shoulder flexion is significantly less and lower middle traps are on fire when doing shoulder flexion. 

Similarly, doing cat/cow thoracic spine and scapula mobility drills, such as shoulder circles. while keeping pelvis in posterior pelvic tilt through the entire movement, causes small muscles around the scapula to tire out very quickly (within 1-3 reps), whereas I can do at least 25 reps if I stay in anterior pelvic tilt (I know generally you go between posterior and anterior pelvic tilt as going through cat cow movement). 

Any thoughts on why shoulder mobility and strength appears to be so much weaker in posterior pelvic tilt (hip)?

Alessandro Mainente
2 hours ago, Magnus Sigurdsson said:

Dear all, @Coach Sommer I’ve had a history of anterior pelvic tilt and shoulder disfunction. 

I’ve noticed that if I actively engage in posterior pelvic tilt, my shoulder mobility and muscle activation changes drastically. My amount of shoulder flexion is significantly less and lower middle traps are on fire when doing shoulder flexion. 

Similarly, doing cat/cow thoracic spine and scapula mobility drills, such as shoulder circles. while keeping pelvis in posterior pelvic tilt through the entire movement, causes small muscles around the scapula to tire out very quickly (within 1-3 reps), whereas I can do at least 25 reps if I stay in anterior pelvic tilt (I know generally you go between posterior and anterior pelvic tilt as going through cat cow movement). 

Any thoughts on why shoulder mobility and strength appears to be so much weaker in posterior pelvic tilt (hip)?

Hey MAgnus, it is quite simple: the insertion of the major musle that is inolved in shoulder range of motion reduction (during shouler flexion) changes the distance from the point of origin basing also on the amount of hips posterior and side tilt. during shoulder flexion if you switch from apt to ppt the "journey" of the fiber of the lats is longer during ppt compared to apt. for this reason since the fibers do not strecth up to infinite there is a point where the insertion on the arm follow the line of pull of the origin of the lats. in order to do do that the insertion of the lat in the upper arm follows the origin  in the middle and lower back. a reduction of the shoulder flexion follows...

Magnus Sigurdsson

Wonderful answer @Alessandro Mainente

how would you separate between tightness in lats being the limiting factor, or weakness in the lower and middle traps (feel they are on fire when in ppt and shoulder flexion) being the limiting factor?

and how would you suggest fixing it?

thank you 

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Magnus Sigurdsson said:

Wonderful answer @Alessandro Mainente

how would you separate between tightness in lats being the limiting factor, or weakness in the lower and middle traps (feel they are on fire when in ppt and shoulder flexion) being the limiting factor?

and how would you suggest fixing it?

thank you 

The 2 thingas are linked....tight lats means too much strenght you need to achieve active shoulder flexion. for sure i can test first the lenght of the lats. if you have it then i can test for a specific exercise for lower and middle traps. if you cannot open the shoulder maybe they are weak.