Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Perfect execution of lateral raise exercice

Victor A MOUCLIER

Victor A MOUCLIER

Hi everybody,

I would like to know the optimal exécution of the lateral raise exercice to target the medial deltoid fibers (most of it's fibers).

There is a lot of conflicting information about this movement and even if we are not speaking about a GST movement, i would like to know the opinion of the forum because all of my biomechanical questions have been answered here in the past (thanks for that !)

Some people say you should be performing them with straight arms, straight out to the side
others advice raising in the scapular plane (around 30° forward) 
others advice bent arm straight out
others advice to bent over with straight arm raising straight out 

It's a never ending story, so if anybody as knowledge about this movement, i would be grateful to have your help

Thanks in advance

Victor A MOUCLIER

Up

No ideas about this forgotten (among bodyweight training people) shoulder abduction motion ?

Thanks

Victor A MOUCLIER

S T R O N G    U P

I've just read this post from Joshua Naterman (written in 2011) about the biomechanic of the médial deltoid 

"They are (the medial delt fibers) a different kind of muscle belly than anterior and posterior delts, they are pennate instead of fusiform. This means that they have a shorter ROM but produce much more force in their ROM. Perhaps now you can see why these are not easily worked with bodyweight at first. Once you are strong enough that's different, but then you'll be missing out on supraspinatus."

As Allesandro or anybody any commentary to make on this point so we can conclude about the optimal ROM to use in medial deltoid raises in order to properly target those fibers ?

Thanks in advance