Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner start point

Amy Laurin

Hi,

I'm starting GB with the hopes of strengthening my upper body. 

I've been working through some issues caused by upper cross syndrome (tight pectorals and traps, shoulders rotated forward and up out of pockets).   My motivation for this was starting archery, which required more upper back and shoulder coordination.  I'm fairly active but work a mostly computer job and was not very athletic growing up.  I've been doing stretches, strengthening and bodyweight 4 days a week.  I can squat past 90 degrees and fold in half with a rounded back from other workout programs I've done over the years.

Regarding the upper crossed syndrome, I've made a lot of progress in the past 8 months with mobility, soft tissue work and strengthening (rows, scap retraction, scap pulldown, pec min and minor stretches) to where I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome.  My shoulders are down and back now, not rolled forward, I can expand my scapula outward and get some decent depression and retraction, as well as what we can back tension in archery.  I'm finding I often end up with tightness at the biceps attachments (elbow and up in the rotator cuff), hence why I'm looking at the GB programming-- I think I'm missing something with my current workouts.  I'm having a hard time with doing pushups, I don't have the strength to do a pushup on my feet still.  Doing exercises like bench press and pushup can cause some shoulder pain.

Here are my newbie questions:

How many days a week should I be working on GB?  Is there any specific composition of programming I should be looking to focus on given the challenges I am working with?  Should I slowly ramp up?

Should I be focusing on building thoracic bridge?

Thank you.

Alessandro Mainente
21 hours ago, Amy Laurin said:

Hi,

I'm starting GB with the hopes of strengthening my upper body. 

I've been working through some issues caused by upper cross syndrome (tight pectorals and traps, shoulders rotated forward and up out of pockets).   My motivation for this was starting archery, which required more upper back and shoulder coordination.  I'm fairly active but work a mostly computer job and was not very athletic growing up.  I've been doing stretches, strengthening and bodyweight 4 days a week.  I can squat past 90 degrees and fold in half with a rounded back from other workout programs I've done over the years.

Regarding the upper crossed syndrome, I've made a lot of progress in the past 8 months with mobility, soft tissue work and strengthening (rows, scap retraction, scap pulldown, pec min and minor stretches) to where I'm fairly satisfied with the outcome.  My shoulders are down and back now, not rolled forward, I can expand my scapula outward and get some decent depression and retraction, as well as what we can back tension in archery.  I'm finding I often end up with tightness at the biceps attachments (elbow and up in the rotator cuff), hence why I'm looking at the GB programming-- I think I'm missing something with my current workouts.  I'm having a hard time with doing pushups, I don't have the strength to do a pushup on my feet still.  Doing exercises like bench press and pushup can cause some shoulder pain.

Here are my newbie questions:

How many days a week should I be working on GB?  Is there any specific composition of programming I should be looking to focus on given the challenges I am working with?  Should I slowly ramp up?

Should I be focusing on building thoracic bridge?

Thank you.

Hi Amy, well there is no a fixed answer but a slow cautious approach that can be adjusted withe the time little by little.

For sure after reading your situation the thoracic extension should be a stable work in your program in order to prevent the upper cross syndrome again.

There are also some tests in the GB online platform that gives an idea about where to start...have you already checked for them?

Hi Alessandro,

I watched the initial videos and did some self assessment, if that's what you're referring to?   

I'm finding the programming for Fundamentals gives enough information on progressing exercises down, which is nice.

The program builder wanted to put me into intermediate one but given the shoulder challenges and my lack of familiarity with GB's programming, I went after the beginner program.  I did Crab/Ape yesterday for the first time and found some soreness in my triceps today from doing Crab.  Ape was not difficult-- I did some similar movement style flows with GMB several years ago.  I tried out the first bodylines and found them to be a good challenge.

Looking ahead at some of the beginner workouts, this is a lot of familiar material from GMB (Gold Medal Bodies), Mark Lauren and TRX for the past several years, so I'm pretty excited to see where this will go.

I'm going to look at learning Thoracic bridge after the beginner workouts and see what else I might find complimentary for now- probably bodylines and hollow body holds for now.

Amy

Alessandro Mainente
16 hours ago, Amy Laurin said:

Hi Alessandro,

I watched the initial videos and did some self assessment, if that's what you're referring to?   

I'm finding the programming for Fundamentals gives enough information on progressing exercises down, which is nice.

The program builder wanted to put me into intermediate one but given the shoulder challenges and my lack of familiarity with GB's programming, I went after the beginner program.  I did Crab/Ape yesterday for the first time and found some soreness in my triceps today from doing Crab.  Ape was not difficult-- I did some similar movement style flows with GMB several years ago.  I tried out the first bodylines and found them to be a good challenge.

Looking ahead at some of the beginner workouts, this is a lot of familiar material from GMB (Gold Medal Bodies), Mark Lauren and TRX for the past several years, so I'm pretty excited to see where this will go.

I'm going to look at learning Thoracic bridge after the beginner workouts and see what else I might find complimentary for now- probably bodylines and hollow body holds for now.

Amy

yes Amy I am referring to the "fitness plancement quiz"..

can you report here the results of the quiz? i mean number of pushup etc....chin hang...etc?

Hi Alessandro,

5 knee pushups, can do more

No chin hang, can do a dead hang

I can do a 20 second hollow body hold, can go longer

I can do the Russian twists without great difficulty, I think I have done a twisting side lever recently but haven’t found a video on how you guys perform that yet.

I can do 10 tuckups

I can fold in half and my nose ends up about three inches from my knee caps

I have a bit of difficulty moving through twisting bear, mostly just with the rotation but the movement is doable

Amy

Alessandro Mainente
On 8/16/2023 at 12:44 AM, Amy Laurin said:

Hi Alessandro,

Amy

Hey Amy, definitely intermediate it is too advanced for you. Beginner level is more appropriate. Also consider that you can be beginner on something and intermediate on another aspect without any problem.