Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question for Ido Portal

OliveStrip

Ido,

Would you recommend using free weights when trying to correct imbalances in strength between two limbs. I am right handed and know that my left arm is somewhat weaker. I would like to work each arm independently so that I can equalize the strength between the two limbs. Since I am not strong enough to do a one-armed push up (or any 1 armed bodyweight exercise) on either side, would it be wise for me to use some free weights to solve the issue?

[Also, although this question is directed towards Ido, I would love to hear opinions from other people on this forum as well]

Thanks!

bands also work well but unless it is a severe imbalance I wouldnt worry about it and just continue to do the things that give you the most bang for your buck. Master the basics and it will carry over into many things.

When you reach a plateau, or even a deload period, I would say that would be an appropriate time to start focusing on weak points. External rotators, biceps, x band walks for lateral movement or anything that takes you out of the normal "groove" in your range of motion. Look up "funtional movements", joint preparation, joint mobility and start to incorporate (into a warmup for example) them when you feel proficient at the basics.

If nothing else, Poliquin recommends bringing up a laggy muscle by supersetting it with your main strength routine. Good example if you have weak biceps would be to do curls in between sets of say bench pressing.

Does this help?

Animalonfire

I can't remember where but Coach (I think it was) mentioned continuing to steadily progress with bilateral exercise would eventually result in both arms being of equal ability, even if one gets there first. I had a large imbalance between arms also, and over time it has developed into a small imbalance, I can foresee it shrinking to a negligible, or non imbalance in the future. You will probably have the same experience.

bands also work well but unless it is a severe imbalance I wouldnt worry about it and just continue to do the things that give you the most bang for your buck. Master the basics and it will carry over into many things.

When you reach a plateau, or even a deload period, I would say that would be an appropriate time to start focusing on weak points. External rotators, biceps, x band walks for lateral movement or anything that takes you out of the normal "groove" in your range of motion. Look up "funtional movements", joint preparation, joint mobility and start to incorporate (into a warmup for example) them when you feel proficient at the basics.

If nothing else, Poliquin recommends bringing up a laggy muscle by supersetting it with your main strength routine. Good example if you have weak biceps would be to do curls in between sets of say bench pressing.

Does this help?

Well I already work on joint mobility and am rehabing some injuries, I just feel that my right side is so dominant with the majority of the movements that I do. There is also a considerable difference visually between my right and left arm. Maybe, as you said, I'll just throw some 1-armed stuff in here and there rather than foregoing some of the basics to get it in more regularly.

Thanks and your post was helpful :)

Guest Ido Portal

Olive,

free weights can be one tool to help with the quest for balance, but there are a few issues to consider:

1. SAID - Specific Adaptation to Imposed Demand. The unilateral isolation work you will be performing with the free weights is not specific to bodyweight closed kinetic chain bilateral movements. It can help move things in the right direction but it is far from a 1:1 effect.

2. I suspect most symmetrical imbalances are the result of neurological issues in their core, much more than muscular per se. It is the result of poor recruitment, inactivity, (in comparison to the other side) etc and sometimes even nerve entrapment, adhesion formation and other factors. Simply performing small amounts of corrective exercises for the weak side will not address this issue enough. One needs to make an effort to solve these problems through other means also. (Being too active with one arm in your day to day life has a price - but you can be aware of this problem and try to delegate some activity to the weak side or even demand more work out of it)

In summery, this is not a simple subject to solve. But, there is a lot to think about, investigate and try.

Personally, I strive for the ultimate balance between my limbs and both sides. I do not allow any side to take over and become more dominant, and this is reflected in a constant shift of my 'good side' in certain movements. The result is that I am able to perform one arm handstands, airbabies, one arm chin ups, push ups, etc... in both sides equally.

I hope this helps,

Ido.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Ido, I appreciate your response. So are you basically saying that it is rare for you to perform 1 arm strength movements? I mean you mentioned you can perform 1 arm pushups/pullups with either arm equally. So my question is why is it ok to work these movements but not do the same with free weights until the lagging muscles come to match the stronger ones? Is it mainly because it is a free weight exercise vs. bodyweight?