Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Scaling Handstand work with a neck injury.

Jacob Markarian

Jacob Markarian

Hello all, 

I am a 6 foot 4 inches, 230 lbs male. I am involved in MMA, wrestling, and boxing. 

I am struggling to complete some of the handstand progressions that involve headstands and forearm stands. E1 on the handstand module went very smoothly for me, along with all of the accompanying mobility and strength work. However, E2 and E3 will be impossible for me due to a severe neck injury that I received. Anatomically, my neck has weaknesses and as a result, I cannot perform the movements. Is there anyway I can modify these movements to not involve placing bodyweight on my neck and cervical area? I am not looking to skip parts of the necessary progressions, but I fear that in this case, I need to slightly modify these movements. 

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Jacob Markarian said:

Hello all, 

I am a 6 foot 4 inches, 230 lbs male. I am involved in MMA, wrestling, and boxing. 

I am struggling to complete some of the handstand progressions that involve headstands and forearm stands. E1 on the handstand module went very smoothly for me, along with all of the accompanying mobility and strength work. However, E2 and E3 will be impossible for me due to a severe neck injury that I received. Anatomically, my neck has weaknesses and as a result, I cannot perform the movements. Is there anyway I can modify these movements to not involve placing bodyweight on my neck and cervical area? I am not looking to skip parts of the necessary progressions, but I fear that in this case, I need to slightly modify these movements. 

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration!

Hey Jacob, probably in your case the bet thing it to achieve the mobility requirements and move at the first elements that does not require neck support.