Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Suspected shoulder impingement

Awais Muzaffar

Awais Muzaffar

Hi coaches,

I think I've developed a shoulder impingement. It is on the right, outer arm, where the shoulder and tricep connect. If I move my arm overhead I can feel pain and tightness.

I was feeling it for a couple of weeks but it gradually went away. I found muscle-ups made the pain come back but dead hangs actually helped relieve it.

This morning I was feeling normal, so I attempted a couple of ring muscle ups. During the muscle ups I was fine but about 15 minutes after my arm was feeling tight and very painful.

My plan for now is to take maybe 1-2 weeks off from training and see if I can ease back into it slowly. Defenitly no muscle ups for a while. 

Is there anything in particular that will help in my recovery that I can follow?

Thanks,
Awais

Alessandro Mainente
10 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi coaches,

I think I've developed a shoulder impingement. It is on the right, outer arm, where the shoulder and tricep connect. If I move my arm overhead I can feel pain and tightness.

I was feeling it for a couple of weeks but it gradually went away. I found muscle-ups made the pain come back but dead hangs actually helped relieve it.

This morning I was feeling normal, so I attempted a couple of ring muscle ups. During the muscle ups I was fine but about 15 minutes after my arm was feeling tight and very painful.

My plan for now is to take maybe 1-2 weeks off from training and see if I can ease back into it slowly. Defenitly no muscle ups for a while. 

Is there anything in particular that will help in my recovery that I can follow?

Thanks,
Awais

Hi Awais, light stretch and do not stop training, simply avoid exercises that increase pain. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Awais Muzaffar

Just a quick update; 

This may not be a shoulder impingment but more of a irritated/infalmed tricep/deltoid - that seems to be taking long to heal. 

Front lever progressions don't cause any pain. 

But things like russian dips, ring dings, muscle up transistion put strain on it. I can also feel pain when making a fist and pushing down hard on a surface.

Perhaps I should scale back the HBP series to something like dip negatives? Push-ups and PPPU do not cause any pain.

Edited by Awais Muzaffar

Alessandro Mainente
20 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Just a quick update; 

This may not be a shoulder impingment but more of a irritated/infalmed tricep/deltoid - that seems to be taking long to heal. 

Front lever progressions don't cause any pain. 

But things like russian dips, ring dings, muscle up transistion put strain on it. I can also feel pain when making a fist and pushing down hard on a surface.

Perhaps I should scale back the HBP series to something like dip negatives? Push-ups and PPPU do not cause any pain.

Hi Awais, i suspect a subscapularis inflammation...probably too less body recovery as you added muscle up work on pulling and front lever.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Awais Muzaffar

Hi Alessandro, thanks for pointing out subscapularis inflammation.

In the picture below, where I am pressing with my two fingertips is the area that is painful when pressed.

https://imgur.com/a/a5znT5t?s=wa

This is what must be causing the pain to radiate into my shoulder/tricep.

Now I need to find a strategy to fix this area I guess.

Alessandro Mainente
15 hours ago, Awais Muzaffar said:

Hi Alessandro, thanks for pointing out subscapularis inflammation.

In the picture below, where I am pressing with my two fingertips is the area that is painful when pressed.

https://imgur.com/a/a5znT5t?s=wa

This is what must be causing the pain to radiate into my shoulder/tricep.

Now I need to find a strategy to fix this area I guess.

if the subscapularis is affected by local overload you only need rest and training on pain free range of motion.

• Thanks 1

Awais Muzaffar

Hey. so I finally got a physio appointment, and he's said tendinopathy in the subscapularis.

Also I've been told I have rounded shoulders... so this is another area I need to look into.