scottmo said:Excellent video! Hope things are going well in Vegas.
Yea, things are well. I may visit ohio sometime in the late summer, I'll let you know if I do so we can train.
How are the canes working out for you? I'm about to make a new pair
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by yuri marmerstein, June 15, 2010 · 107 Replies · 8,069 Views
scottmo said:Excellent video! Hope things are going well in Vegas.
Yea, things are well. I may visit ohio sometime in the late summer, I'll let you know if I do so we can train.
How are the canes working out for you? I'm about to make a new pair
Good to hear from you! Im sure you met some interesting people on your trip. Ive Been focusing on press handstands for a while as you might remember last time I saw you , was gettin pretty frustrated, then the day of my birthday I got pissed, cranked up the music and go figure, I finally got the straddle press handstand! No shit! Im pretty ecstatic . I think what helped me get it was getting away from the wall and increasing the compression of the hips. Canes are great, been doin one hand center straddle holds on em. Keep me informed when you hit the big time as I need a good reason to get over to Vegas. And yea when you get into town definitely let me know Im sure youll have some awesome new skills I would love to learn. By the way, Ive been doin the meat hooks at my local gym and everyone keeps askin me if im joining the circus. HAHA
What are meat hooks?
slizzardman said:What are meat hooks?
The thing on a rope that looks like a one arm back lever
Awesome! That sounds really tough.
scottmo said:Good to hear from you! Im sure you met some interesting people on your trip. Ive Been focusing on press handstands for a while as you might remember last time I saw you , was gettin pretty frustrated, then the day of my birthday I got pissed, cranked up the music and go figure, I finally got the straddle press handstand! No shit! Im pretty ecstatic . I think what helped me get it was getting away from the wall and increasing the compression of the hips. Canes are great, been doin one hand center straddle holds on em. Keep me informed when you hit the big time as I need a good reason to get over to Vegas. And yea when you get into town definitely let me know Im sure youll have some awesome new skills I would love to learn. By the way, Ive been doin the meat hooks at my local gym and everyone keeps askin me if im joining the circus. HAHA
Excellent, glad to hear it.
Slizz, meathook is like an extension of the windshield wiper exercise where the legs to all the way over to the side and you hang on one arm
Razz said:slizzardman said:What are meat hooks?The thing on a rope that looks like a one arm back lever
However, meathook is not to be confused with hanging flag which is a progression to one arm back lever.
Both positions are common to aerial straps but can be practiced on rings as well(which is what I've been doing)
Sounds like some pretty good grip work!
ehh, not really more stressful on the grip than one arm hang. Even easier on straps since grip is not involved as much.
It is very heavy pulling work on the shoulder though
uugghh so sunday night my tooth hurts a bit, monday morning my jaw is swollen
turns out I had a dental abcess, possibly had been building up for a long time
got a root canal yesterday and came back today for second part of the procedure. Have to wait another week to get it finished because of the swelling. bad luck I suppose, it makes me glad I have insurance though otherwise this would have cost me out the ass.
On antibiotics now so probably going to be set back in my training. However, I just moved to a good location and should have consistent internet now so I do actually plan on updating this thing.
I'll just mention it here too...make sure to get probiotics after your antibiotics!!! ![]()
yea definitely. I'm eating yogurt and a greens+probiotic powder several times a day to counter the effects. The pharmacist said the most common side effect is diarrhea but so far I've seen none of that.
actually for being on a potent antibiotic used for dental infections I feel pretty good
Need to get some trader joe kefir when I run out of yogurt, That stuff is delicious
Okay awesome ![]()
Yes! You can make your own kefir too. I do and it's great, you can make it MUCH stronger than what you buy at the store and if you blend it with fruit it just tastes like awesome fruit yoghurt!
Sliz, I may look into that
Just got back from a trip to Woodward west. Kinda hard to move around today, going to hit the sauna in a bit
saturday involved 4 hours of driving and 8 hours of handstands, strength, tricking/tumbling, and trampoline
back in ohio for over a week to visit family.
it's funny, everyone asks me how bad the summer is in vegas; so far no complaints from me. I welcome it
It's my second day in cleveland and I already want to go back. The humidity is rough, way too much sweating. As a result, training is a bit off
today:
HS training, working the straight and half open one arm positions
second session: playground, working mostly Pbar HS pushups and assisted one arm chins
Also taking a week off supplements save for multivit and fish oil
did a little better today with not eating illegal food, but it's hard when I'm surrounded by it
session 1: warmup then one arm handstands in wide straddle and flag positions
was a decent session, way better than yesterday
later:
quick pulling workout at nearby playground. worked static front levers and yewkis
evening: went to a pool and did some diving and a little bit of flipping on the grass. I'm a pretty shit diver. When I went to the grass there were some kids there who used to be gymnasts but they quickly lost interest after they found out I was better than them. They then proceeded to do "planking" all over the place. Apparently it's all the rage with the kids
Yes, it's quite silly.
open acrobatics audition for cirque du soleil today
all I got to do was floor tumbling but I made it through the first cut which is a relief. There were some high level gymnasts throwing crazy tricks who were cut
All I did was really basic tricks but ones I know that I can land cleanly 100% of the time
didn't get to do anything on the rings or pbars because they wanted "national level routines" which I do not have. They asked me to come back monday for the martial arts/extreme sports audition due to my former capoeira background. It should be interesting as I have to prepare a two minute presentation.
one of the people who auditioned was a 40 year old former russian gymnast who I got to talk to for a while. Apparently he did flying trapeze russia for a while after he quit competing. He is still super ripped and even though he complains about being out of shape it's hard to see. After some of the young gymnasts finished on rings he came over wearing jeans and with no warmup owned everyone
it's interesting to see how rare front levers are. Out of about 60 people who auditioned, maybe two could hold a solid full lay front lever, one of them being the russian guy
Awesome that you schooled some high level gymnast! Hope the auditions continue to go well for you!
yuri said:one of the people who auditioned was a 40 year old former russian gymnast who I got to talk to for a while. Apparently he did flying trapeze russia for a while after he quit competing. He is still super ripped and even though he complains about being out of shape it's hard to see. After some of the young gymnasts finished on rings he came over wearing jeans and with no warmup owned everyone
it's interesting to see how rare front levers are. Out of about 60 people who auditioned, maybe two could hold a solid full lay front lever, one of them being the russian guy
Congrats on making second round!!!
I would have loved to see that Russian guy own the young bucks! Sounds very entertaining! Were the young guys impressed or pissed?
I wonder why FL are so rare... Makes me feel better about having a good one!
PHILIP said:Awesome that you schooled some high level gymnast! Hope the auditions continue to go well for you!
Thanks! I'll keep you updated on how monday goes.
slizzardman said:yuri said:one of the people who auditioned was a 40 year old former russian gymnast who I got to talk to for a while. Apparently he did flying trapeze russia for a while after he quit competing. He is still super ripped and even though he complains about being out of shape it's hard to see. After some of the young gymnasts finished on rings he came over wearing jeans and with no warmup owned everyone
it's interesting to see how rare front levers are. Out of about 60 people who auditioned, maybe two could hold a solid full lay front lever, one of them being the russian guy
Congrats on making second round!!!
I would have loved to see that Russian guy own the young bucks! Sounds very entertaining! Were the young guys impressed or pissed?
I wonder why FL are so rare... Makes me feel better about having a good one!
ha, well the young gymnasts were "in the zone" and moving on to highbar at the time but those of us who were just watching thought this russian guy was great
I was talking to my friend who coaches at a gym that has a large boys team and she says that in the newer code of points, front lever is only an A level skill on rings, so gymnasts don't work on it as often as they used to when it was a B level skill
Please do! You are doing the same things I want to eventually do so this is awesome to hear you going for it!
That should be even better since you have a one arm meathook already. ![]()
so I got cut today. They were very nice about it. Basically they said there was only one place they could think of fitting me into the company at the moment, and most of the people in this role typically have higher level acrobatics than myself.
I was told to work on my lines and come back.
On this plus side, I got to audition twice, which means two free gym sessions. The talent scouts know who I am now.
Kinda bummed I didn't get to do strength as I've been working a lot of rope climbs.
I did my two minute presentation which I concocted one day in advance and had no time to practice. It didn't go too bad, but my movements definitely got sloppier towards the end as I got tired.
I guess cirque du soleil is a place where it is extremely beneficial to be a specialist in a given skill, where as I am a generalist and do a little bit off everything.
Overall, no worries. It was a good experience and I'll be back
Sorry to hear that Yuri! But being a specialist is simply so narrow and boring.