This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yuri's Training log

Started by yuri marmerstein, June 15, 2010 · 107 Replies · 8,069 Views

yuri marmerstein

Might as well start one, since everyone else has

Drove down to visit my friend this weekend, taped some training.

My left wrist is still healing, so slowly working my way back up to handstands on floor. For now lots of ring handstands, some crocodile work, etc.

NlGEnp2-W2s

I did some tricks as well if that counts for something here

MIOsCPxpo_Y

*Hey Yuri! I fixed your video links. Hope you don't mind! If you click "edit" on your message you can see what I did so you can make the videos show up properly from here on out! You'll notice that all you need between the Youtube markers here is everything past the "watch?v=" part of the web link. - Slizzardman

yuri marmerstein

Did two training sessions today after taking a week off.

First session started with handstand work on floor, the best that my left wrist allowed me to do. I have to work my way back up to this.

Along with this I performed one arm handstand holds with my right arm, in a straddle. I'm getting better at these, the balance is starting to click for me much better. I can get 5 second holds somewhat consistently without putting the free hand down. Still lots of work to be done but I take what I can get.

After handstands I swung around a 16 pound sledgehammer for a bit.

Second workout I did some rings at a nearby playground. Worked handstands, straddle L to planche, front lever and support work.

Razz

Following this log for sure. How did you feel a week off helped your wrist?

yuri marmerstein

It definitely helped, especially since I still made sure to do lots of wrist stretching and heat application.

My main reason for taking the week off is that I was working a gymnastics camp and by the time I got home I was exhausted. Plus that I went really hard last weekend so the time off was a good idea.

Going to try to do some hand balancing today, and maybe play around with some movements in the backyard.

Mikael Kristiansen

Nice work! I wish I had as strong planches as that. Your ring work looks great too. How is it going with your wrist? I would like to see more of your handbalancing. You obviously have really strong shoulders, which is great for handstand. How is your press handstands, and do you work a lot shoulder flexibility? From what I can remember, your flex want too bad, but still working it a lot really helps with 1 arm handstands.

Again, good work!

yuri marmerstein

Thanks for the edit slizz, I will stop failing at video embeds now

Handbalancer said:
Nice work! I wish I had as strong planches as that. Your ring work looks great too. How is it going with your wrist? I would like to see more of your handbalancing. You obviously have really strong shoulders, which is great for handstand. How is your press handstands, and do you work a lot shoulder flexibility? From what I can remember, your flex want too bad, but still working it a lot really helps with 1 arm handstands.

Again, good work!

Thanks, your input always means a lot to me. The wrist is getting better, taking its time as usual. I can do handstands on the floor now as long as I am careful. I did a one minute handstand yesterday on concrete and my wrist was able to take it though it did hurt a little afterwards. I can also do one arm leans to my left on the canes now.

My presses were decent before my injury, but I cannot do straight arm presses now because of the extra pressure it puts on my wrist. I've been trying them on rings but still end up bending the arms a little.

My flexibility is not too bad. I have been working on it, probably not enough though.

I will make sure to tape my next few hand balancing sessions and post them up on here for you.

yuri marmerstein

pJXZbzyZkgk

handbalancer, this is for you and anyone else who can critique me. Your insight is appreciated

wrist still bothers me a little but i can do stuff on it without many problems. Just have to get it stronger

I've also built a set of clubbells, which are fun to swing around

yuri marmerstein

double backs

OG14TZZ1Xno

Razz

Nice man!

yuri marmerstein

handstand update

been working the left arm too but i don't have much to show off on it quite yet

H6DbAx74OUI

yuri marmerstein

new video

mostly tricking but worth posting anyway

jIvRDA7yWaE

yuri marmerstein

I am terrible at writing things down and updating things, anyway, I've made in a lot progress in the last couple months.

This has been my plan more or less

Hand balancing in the morning, usually 6 days a week

WOD after work

one rings day a week where I focus on handstands and do a few multiple exercise "routines"

maybe some tricking once or twice a week

I've also started to shift towards eating paleo since everyone talks so highly of it. I've cut out all grains and legumes but still do yogurt and cheese.

Even though it is more expensive, I do feel a positive difference so I will continue with this.

I've also been taking Kre-Alkalyn.

After my vegas trip I'm giving serious consideration to trying for cirque of some kind.

Razz

Very cool Yuri! I'm also more or less Paleo now and it really does feel better! Very nice workout routine, morning handstand workouts is a beautiful thing. Do you feel any difference with kre-alkalyn? Keep us updated with the circus :D

yuri marmerstein

Need to update this thing more

today:

breakfast:

ground beef, eggs, walnuts, 1 tangerine, 1/2 beet, avacado, cucumber

metamucil hit me hard so I had 3 awesome morning dumps

got 7 day free membership to a gym really close to my house

training included

hand balance

full and straddle planche(haven't tried full planche in a while, was actually able to hold for a few seconds, though form needs a bit of work)

random pulling

PWO meal: whole milk yogurt with blueberries, honey, coconut milk, whey, leucine, cacao powder

nap

meal: cheese plus banana with almond butter and several dark chocolate covered expresso beans

sipped green tea during work

training during/after work:

random tumbling

MU to BL on rings

one arm pull to meathook and lower to hang on rings(still need a little help from the other arm on the way up)

superbowl party, ate lots of salmon and various salads with different meats and veg in them.

then I caved in and had a slice of cake. it was delicious but I'm sure I will pay for it

yuri marmerstein

also, moving to vegas in april.

trying to figure out the best way to drive there so I can visit people and see lots of the country

Razz

Some good dedication here man. What do you work as that allows you so much time to work out and cook?

Are you moving to vegas for the handbalancing or something else?

yuri marmerstein

I coach gymnastics and cheerleading. Sunday is cheer practice where we rent out a really nice gym, having the whole place to ourselves

so when the kids get a drink I'll do some tumbling or a set on rings, etc. adds up during the 3 hours

as for vegas...

a number of reasons. Hand balancing is just something i practiced a lot and became obsessed with; I do want to get into cirque. Hopefully I can start auditioning for shows when I get down there, KA would be a great start for me I believe

Ohio is not a good place for me. There are a lot of things that I realize piss me off(more than just the snow and cold) about it as I am getting ready to leave.

Here i am basically the only one of my kind. So I train alone all the time and everyone thinks i'm strange for doing it, not that I care.

Vegas however, is a much better training environment, and I'm sure I'll progress a lot there.

I can always get a job coaching gym/cheer if things are slow

Razz

Cool, best of luck! I'm sure you can make it :)

jl5555

Your handbalancing is impressive to me and I'm sure you will find success wherever you go. Vegas, LA, Sydney, Hong Kong, Frankfurt, Ljubljana, a cruise ship, etc.; I don't think it will matter for you. You're young, mobile, crafty so take advantage of that to experience what the world has on offer. Good luck and keep those of us who are now stuck where they are updated on where handbalancing and gymnastics happens to take you.

Eddie Stelling

Nice Yuri! Vegas would be an awesome place to live! I would spend to much time in the casino though, don't let that happen. You should move to Charleston, SC! Prettiest women in the country and they are every where! I enjoy training on the beach it's my favorite place for hand balancing, chicks dig it! I need a damn training buddy too! Haha! There is also a cirque act in Myrtle Beach, SC. Never seen them but have heard they are pretty good. Might be a good intermediate step for you to check out if Vegas doesn't work out. Good luck with that dude.

yuri marmerstein

That sounds interesting. I'm up for whatever options.

For now, vegas seems like a good place because there is a wide variety of things to try out for if an audition or two don't go my way. Plus that I already know a few people in vegas.

Staying in ohio I am getting older and going nowhere. I want to do something with my skills and continue to improve them

Eddie, If I'm ever in south carolina I'll definitely look you up. We can do some hand balancing and flexing on ze beach

Eddie Stelling

Yea I here ya on that. Lots options out there. I have only been to Ohio once. Columbiana, OH. Most people from Ohio don't even know where that is! But there was not a whole lot going on. I can understand the need for change! I am sure I will be heading to vegas in the near future for a wknd to blow my hard earned money! I will contact you if and when I head that way, hopefully to watch your show! But definitely let me know if you ever come to SC. Later!

yuri marmerstein

yes, definitely send me a PM if you are going to be in vegas.

Today I start to make my checklist on shit i need to get done before I leave

also, learned something new this week, been working on it for 1.5 month or so

-BxolrHcULA

yuri marmerstein

also in light of posting more often

trained today after work. worked a bit of tumbling in my limited space at the gym. one of the things I hate about working in a small gym is all the preschool shit on the floor

trying to get my fulls clean again as I've built up some bad twisting habits from being lazy

worked some freestanding HSPU on rings and some pulls to meathook after

then i visited my grandma and as usual she gave me too much food at the wrong time so now I have a lot to eat in the next couple days

massive lacrosse ball session tonight

yuri marmerstein

went to the dentist saturday so as a result of not being able to feel my face all day I did no training

no surprise, sunday morning session was the worst I've had in a while.

Evening session after work went well however after I took some subllingual B12 and chewed some caffeinated gum. Was feeling more strong and confident on the high rings and my tumbling was almost halfway decent.

the Arnold Classic is this weekend, it should be an epic time