This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Yuri's Training log

Started by yuri marmerstein, June 15, 2010 · 107 Replies · 8,069 Views

yuri marmerstein

ahh, the arnold classic is this weekend

going on a free supplement fueled rage for the next 3 days

Brendan Coad

Have fun at the Arnold. I've always wanted to go but never made it out there although a friend of mine worked it once for Tony Nowak who used to make the official jackets for the event. I just googled him and found out he passed away which is too bad.

People say the amount of free supps you can pick up is out of control if you put some effort into it.

Have you been before?

Marlon

Nice Job on the one arm pull to meathook by the way, Yuri. I've been working on that for like 5 months now and still have quite a ways to go. Are you training straps at all now? or just some movements similar to straps stuff?

yuri marmerstein

here are couple pictures from the arnold:

loot:

198489_949994062244_12300773_48979186_3956393_n.jpg

dick hartzell;

199685_949995738884_12300773_48979233_1321350_n.jpg

Marlon: i am not training straps at the moment as I have no access to any straps, but I have been intrigued by some of the movements and have incorporated them into my training.

Tarun Suri

Pardon my ignorance, but what is Arnold? I originally assumed there was a Swarchzenegger (sp?) movie marathon or something.

yuri marmerstein

the arnold is a giant bodybuilding and sports festival held the first weekend of march

yuri marmerstein

friday night I did a bad RO BHS FULL and smashed my hands on the back handspring, wrist has been hurting a bit since.

good week to take it easy and work on things like preparing for my move and 2010 taxes

yuri marmerstein

so while my wrist recovers for the next week or two I decided to go back to lifting weights for the time being

did some kettlebell today

warmed up with the 55 pound kettlebell, swings, snatches, presses, getups and overhead squats

80 pound bell(was the heaviest one they had): snatches and presses

haven't lost any strength despite working pretty much only bodyweight for the last year or so

I finished training with some farmer's walks in overhead, rack, and suitcase style

I'm also trying to do a lot more pulling volume while i am healing

yuri marmerstein

barbell snatch and weighted pullups today

snatch:

warmup with bar and then did a bunch of reps with 95 lbs

did a few sets with 135 but my form was questionable

went back to 95 and did lots more sets with strict form

pullups:

4x4, slow tempo with a 40 pound kettlebell hanging from me. tried to make my form super strict and made sure I felt my lats working the whole time.

finished with one weighted slow negative pullup

yuri marmerstein

wrist is still hurt but it's good to know I haven't lost any lifting strength.

been working handstands a little on the decline blocks but I'm not so confident on those

did a handstand on floor today and it only hurt a little so I think another week I'll be good to go though I'm sure I will have regressed a good bit when I get back into one arms

trained with Scottmo from the forum today, was a good time

it's always good to meet people who actually train to get better at something rather than just going through the motions and never improving like 99% of the general populace

Razz

Dude that's insane you can actually pick up so many supplements in 1 weekend!

Hope your wrist gets better man! Injuries suck :S

yuri marmerstein
Razz said:
Dude that's insane you can actually pick up so many supplements in 1 weekend!

Hope your wrist gets better man! Injuries suck :S

haha I'm still trying to finish off last year's supplements

wrist is feeling better, I am able to do handstands on floor now though I am not 100% yet. Hit some one arm handstands yesterday and today after not doing them at all for over two weeks. Not quite as confident as I was with them but the balance is still there. This is good because I was worried I would have lost it.

It will take a little bit of time to get back to the level I was at before I hurt myself but it'll be fine.

yuri marmerstein

back in business baby!!

forgot that I had a jumpstretch compression band lying around and now my wrist feels way better after using it. Still not completely there but in good working order. Hitting one arm handstands on floor again fairly solid, should be back to my old level soon.

Razz
yuri said:
back in business baby!!

forgot that I had a jumpstretch compression band lying around and now my wrist feels way better after using it. Still not completely there but in good working order. Hitting one arm handstands on floor again fairly solid, should be back to my old level soon.

wohoooooo! :D :twisted:

yuri marmerstein

haha it's funny about the supplements, because I've moved back in with my parents for a week before I move out

they are on my ass about taking supplements. I don't want to explain though, because they won't understand

update:

wrist is basically back to where it was in december/january when it was cold all the time and I trained in my basement. It aches a little but is fine after a good warmup

starting to pack before I leave on my trip this thursday. two sessions today:

morning:

HS session working on straight and half open position in one arm

evening:

bar muscleups, one arm pullup negatives, HSPU on pbars and sets of standing backtucks

here is a video of one of my sets:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php ... eo_comment

and here is a video I submitted to METrx for a contest but did not win:

vtYW4dFGUy8

SamSpaiser

Yuri, I really admire the finesse that you put into your skills. You make your skills look effortless and a beauty to watch, and this is something that I strive for. I hope you'll share some tips on how you got started with all of this, especially with how you built up your training load, because that's where I went wrong, getting so excited to improve and then overdoing it. It's pretty clear that some aspects of training can take a greater work load than others.

yuri marmerstein
SamSpaiser said:
Yuri, I really admire the finesse that you put into your skills. You make your skills look effortless and a beauty to watch, and this is something that I strive for. I hope you'll share some tips on how you got started with all of this, especially with how you built up your training load, because that's where I went wrong, getting so excited to improve and then overdoing it. It's pretty clear that some aspects of training can take a greater work load than others.

For a while you need to find a point where you still have something left but you stop anyway. If you want to be able to train every day you can't go full balls to the wall every day because you will not be able to recover. Get some quality training in and stop before you are dead. Do this for a while and you can increase your training volume nicely

I got started by just doing whatever and I initially learned everything wrong. Now that I know how to fix all my bad habits I can't do it completely because of some of the ingrained motor patterns I've built up.

yuri marmerstein

Update:

I live in Vegas now, been training hard. Hand balance, tumbling, tricking, lifting, swimming, strength, etc. A little bit of everything like always.

I was on and off for a bit while recovering from my travels but I am starting to get my consistency back.

I am auditioning for Le Reve(this is why I've been working on my swimming) on may 17th so we will see how that goes. I'd like to think I have a decent chance but it's an open audition so who knows what kind of people will come out of the woodwork.

palmcron
yuri said:

I am auditioning for Le Reve(this is why I've been working on my swimming) on may 17th so we will see how that goes. I'd like to think I have a decent chance but it's an open audition so who knows what kind of people will come out of the woodwork.

Wanted to wish you good luck for the audition, but then noticed, I'm too late :(

How did it go?

yuri marmerstein

It went really well. alex(Acegerter from the forum) was there as well and we both made it through to the end and are on file.

Interesting people in attendance including Denys Tolstov who among the best hand balancers in the world. It really put a lot of things in perspective

I haven't heard anything back yet but I hear they are still renegotiating contracts for next year so who knows. If I get in, awesome. If not I'll just go to the next audition and do the same thing.

I also just found out there are open auditions for Cirque in september so time to get training.

Also trained hand balance at the park with a bulgarian kid who comes from a family of acrobats. Started working lowering from OAH to crocodile, which is no easy feat. Also, this guy''s dad who is in his 40s probably popped up on the canes and did one arm handstand with no warmup. owned us all

yuri marmerstein

new video

eoA8HuaHSOQ

gymgreg

Man, I love clips like this one. Really motivating.

scottmo

Excellent video! Hope things are going well in Vegas.

Joshua Naterman

Wow! That snow shot in the beginning gave me Rocky IV flashbacks!!!

Seriously though, what a great video! You are looking very sharp, it seems like your one arm work is making steady strides forward! You make that planche look easy, too.

Adam Bodestyne

Wow, amazing.