Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cryo-therapy and contrast bathing

Daniel Jorgensen

The problem is that there's significant anecdotal evidence that it actually helps.

There is not once study that I've seen that supports that view though. But judging from experience it has helped me in the past as well.

Who knows...

Daniel Jorgensen

How do you perform contrast bathing? How many times to you ship from cold to hot - and how long time do you spend under each?

Do you use ice or cold shower?

Would Sauna and cold shower work?

Scotty Hagnas

This is the scheme I use and suggest to my clients:

High intensity workouts - alternate 30 sec cool water and 2 min hot.

High volume workouts - alternate 30 sec cold and 2 min warm.

I prefer the sauna (FIR) for detox protocols.

Scott Hagnas

Hello Dr. Durden,

Just some info that may interest you. Coach Charles Poliquin has said in the past that cyrotherapy does nothing for recovery and may even delay it due to increased cortisol. Here is the article (page 2): http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/question_of_strength_october_1

Also sprint Coach Charlie Francis has written a lot about recovery methods (massage, contrast showers, stretching etc). You can find the info in his ebooks on http://www.charliefrancis.com/store/Scripts/default.asp The best one to start with is "Charlie Francis Training System". I definately need to check out Ido's suggestion at some point!

Hope this helps.

Enjoy!

Coach Sommer
... Coach Charles Poliquin has said in the past that cyrotherapy does nothing for recovery ...

Poliquinn is wrong.

My personal favorite contrast bathing variation is to spend 15-20 minutes in a very hot steam room immediately followed by 5-10 minutes in a 57-65 degree cold plunge. And then continuing to repeat the process as long as my schedule allows; anywhere from 1 to 2 hours. Pairing this with a deep tissue massage is as close to the fountain of youth as I have found.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

Nice!

There is laboratory research that shows post-workout icing prevents around 90% of post-workout protein breakdown. That's a massive difference.

As I have written before, I have used various hydrotherapy routines to great effect, personally. The straight cold is generally only recommended for extremely hard sessions, which was sadly not part of the study.

The results are very interesting. Even though the supply arteries got smaller in the cooling group, performance increased very close to what the control group experienced, close enough in everything except the VO2max tests to be nearly identical. Still, the small statistical disadvantage in maximal strength accrual and

It is unfortunate that untrained persons were used, and it is unfortunate that the study time was so short. A similar study with trained track athletes would be better. At the very least, use protocols designed to be in DOMS zone to see what the effects are. It would also be good to test whether the specific protocols that have been recommended by Kurz and others actually have the effects claimed.

A contrast bath study seems like the next logical step to me, at least as far as determining the physiological effects on untrained persons. Research like this is a good first step in asking more questions and performing studies more relevant to the athletic community at large.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

at home i either do shower hot-cold-hot-cold. In fact thats how I take all my showers these days.

or If im looking for a longer session, I run a bath, as hot as I can stand. Soak for 5-10 minutes, get out, run across the house naked to the other bathroom and have a cold shower for 1-2 minutes and repeat that twice. In winter the cold shower is pretty darn cold as the water has been sitting in the metal pipes.

Jason Stein
My personal favorite contrast bathing variation is to spend 15-20 minutes in a very hot steam room immediately followed by 5-10 minutes in a 57-65 degree cold plunge.

I lived in Tokyo for a while, and this contrast bath set-up was very accessible, what with all the onsen/sento in or near the city. I was doing it twice a week for a while there.

It's been more challenging to find an affordable place that has a steam room AND an ice dip here in the US, though they are around.

Hey Slizzard, given your interests and personal training, Supertraining would be a good look for you. I believe someone's running a Mel Siff Blog, too, that collects some of his great posts from the old Yahoo discussion groups.

best,

jason

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA! That's funny, I just ran across that last night! Thanks! I'm always trying to learn. I think the isometric work I have implemented is going to be a massive boon to the gymnastic work we do here, but I'll know more in 12 months! In the meantime, I'm working on getting my hands on a copy of Supertraining!

Hayden Whealing

just out of curiosity, scotty what is your job where you recommend contrast showers to people?