Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Moving External Loads in Awkward Positions

Jay Guindon

Jay Guindon

I feel like since I've been doing gymnastics S&C it's become easier to move external loads in awkward positions. When I lift weights in the gym the bar follows a strict path and it doesn't deviate from the bar moving in a vertical path over the middle of the foot (deadlift, squat, shoulder press, clean, etc) but I find in the real world objects either aren't in a shape that allows the weight to be centered over the foot or they are in a position or need to move to a position that is away from the body. So while I definitely got stronger it still didn't make it easy to move any weight that wasn't following a path close to the body. Since I've been doing gymnastic type movements though, being in all those awkward de-leveraged positions has made moving objects in awkward positions easier as well. I think lifting weights in the gym puts you in a leverage advantaged position but gymnastics puts you in a leverage disadvantaged position and thus gymnastics makes you better at moving external objects that are in a leverage disadvantaged position, which I find is nearly all objects I move in a day. (I'm a delivery driver/warehouse worker and find myself getting all kinds of awkard boxes/objects from lot's of awkard places) Has anyone else found this/does this make sense?

I know what you mean,guys who lift weights and are supposedly stronger than me have a hard time carrying uneven objects,while I had no problem with carrying furniture to my new apartment yesterday,even holding heavy stuff in really uncomphortable positions and standing on one leg while with the other i lift it and pull the handle of the elevator door :D i'm really happy i'm seing useful strenght here.