Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

hand position on handstand - newbie question

Gerald Mangona

Gerald Mangona

I'll save all the backstory, but I'm just coming off a 10-day break from handstand work because of forearm splints. More specifically, the extensor tendons near my elbow for the ring finger and little finger were aggravated.

In returning back to work and gradually bringing back volume (was doing 10min x 2 sessions per week...now 3 min x 2 sessions per week), I notice that when I rotate my hands outward (fingers 45 degrees away from my body), this takes a lot of stress off of the forearm extensors on the outside of my arm -- right where the injury was.

Should I do this to relieve pressure? Or should I face my hands straight forward and just accept that it's gonna take a little while for those tendons to firm up to handle the workload?

Thanks, JM

Generally, I teach the HS with the fingers out 45 degrees. The part of the hand between the thumb and pointer/index finger faces forward. This allows the crook of the elbow to face more forward.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

I've always done it so that the index fingers point forwards and the elbows pretty much facing each other. Not saying this is correct, nor do I have any idea where I remember learning this.

Nick, that is similar to doing a HS in overgrip on a single rail. More difficult than on parallettes or floor, typically.

I tried Blairbob's technique, and I think the main difference is that I feel like I'm using more of my shoulder strength.