Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Workout Final Tweaking needed: Core, FSPs and Legs

ASForum

Workout Final Tweaking needed: Core, FSPs and Legs.

With the help of some great people here: KillRoy, BrainDx, Coach, Blairbob, Ido, Slizzard and so many others whose names dont come to me at 1:30 am at night.. :) I have been able to come to some place with my workout.

I've tried a bunch of these exercises and did some, gave up on some for now etc.

I need some finalization :) That will really help.

FSPs: I know which ones I can kind of do now & which I've dropped for now

- I'd like to SPLIT them (cant do all everyday..for now) and PAIR them over the days. Please recommend / suggest THE BEST ANTAGONISTIC ONES to PAIR?

KillRoy70%20Weekly%20Workout%20Variant%20002.jpg

Core: Thanks to Blairbob we were able to come to distinguish between easier / maybe / skip now variants of the Core stuff. Details on CORE stuff and what we've figured out is the second image below :)

It would be nice if you could help on that front. I'll try a bunch of these out next week and then FINALIZE these as well.

KillRoy70%20Core%20Variants%20001.jpg

Legs: So far I've only been able to do the Squats & SLS -ve to limited extent.

Here posted about the Hamstring Variations and wondering how/ what I could / should include. There TriangleChoke and I figured out..

I went through the book. Cant seem to do the Leg Curl (1st one). Should I try the GHR-half / Archups etc? Is there some way to make these easier (I cant just do a TUCK here..lol to make it easier)??
Yeah, half ghr is easier than leg curl (archups too). Perhaps Coach will fix this in 2nd edition.

Any thoughts?

I answered the NLC question in another thread.

Unfortunately I do not seem to have the [Force Choke] power as a moderator. You're lucky I don't. :mrgreen:

You don't need to be working the planche or front lever, probably. Do some planche leans or tuck levers or body levers if you so wish. L-sit makes sense. I'd say L-hang but you are working the tuck HLL already.

An inverted hang is something I take for granted but you shouldn't if you can't hold one for a long period of time.

Work the german hang with your feet on the floor as mobility.

Can you do a hollow or arch hold for a significant amount of time? If you can't, work on those.

Gerald Mangona

I only say this because of both my recent experience and your history with injuries. An inverted hang with almost straight arms is one thing. An inverted hang with fully straight, elbows locked, arms is another. In order to build that straight arm strength, build gradually. If your biceps are well developed, do the inverted hang with forearms turned out and elbows locked. If -- like me -- you're still building up joint strength, start in a tuck position, and palms facing in. You still need to lock the elbows though in order to build that straight arm strength. When you do lock out the elbows, really feel the biceps working as they work to keep pressure off the joint.

Watch your volume, listen to your body. Don't be afraid to work up slowly.

I can hold an inverted hang in straight body position for almost 90 seconds, and then it's only my grip that fatigues, not my arms. But locking out the elbows? Down to 5 seconds, 4 sets. Building to 8, then 15. I can do 3 sets of 5 XR dips with bent arms no problem. But I'm actually doing 30-second holds in a plank (yes, plank...not planche) position on the FLOOR with straight arms to strengthen the forearm tendons. Slooowwww...

For what it's worth, my bent arm strength is miles ahead of my straight arm strength. It's humbling to get them back to even. You sound enthusiastic to get going. Just don't want you to get stuck with another period of injury again.

J

Gerald Mangona

one more thing...re: SLS.

I was starting to sense a burning under my kneecap when I was doing pistols. Had the strength to do 5 x 5, but something was wrong. I checked the entire board archives, and guess what...more connective tissue overuse -- the beginnings of patellar tendonitis.

I think it was Blairbob, but I can't remember who...he mentioned that he has his students get into the bottom of a pistol and hold that position as an FSP. Before even considering doing negative-reps, he had them build to a few sets of 60s holds.

After I took 2 weeks off the legs, I tried it, and it's perfect. I'm holding each leg at 15s, 4 times during my FSP days. Really tense every muscle in your working leg when you're doing it, and you'll feel how much more stable you get just in your first 2 or 3 days of doing it.

Maybe stick with deck squats (or weighted deck squats) of your FBE, but work the pistol-bottom position as an FSP until you really build up that patellar strength.

Coach, I love your stuff. Can't wait to read liquid steel™...I had NO idea how delicate all this connective tissue was, and I can't wait to make sure I'm prehabbing right to prevent injury.

J

Jman, a few years back I started implementing that they hold 60s in the bottom of SLS with the goal of holding 30s in a row before they got to move on to doing it on the trampoline. Why, because it's fun. Maybe it's unstable but basically it's fun.

If they could not hold the position free, they would hold onto something as an assist. My hands are a support beam or something. As well, I would have them work SLS negatives as well but knowing they didn't really have much of a chance of doing them all that well. It gives them something to do while the other boys work SLS. Besides, they are still working the balance.

Once you can build up that ankle and knee flexibility and balance, the SLS seemed to be pretty easy for most beginning competitive gymnasts and even the beginning rec gymnasts who could only do deck squats marginally well.

• 1 month later...
I answered the NLC question in another thread.

// Thanks.

Unfortunately I do not seem to have the [Force Choke] power as a moderator. You're lucky I don't. :mrgreen:

// Thanks for your patience and advise. I pray that you always get what you need in life :)

You don't need to be working the planche or front lever, probably. Do some planche leans or tuck levers or body levers if you so wish. L-sit makes sense. I'd say L-hang but you are working the tuck HLL already.

// Thanks for the clarification on the planche leans and tuck Body levers

I havent done HLL-Tucks yet, but hope to bring them to my core workout starting this week / next.

UPDATED: With clarification.

I can hold an inverted hang in straight body position for almost 90 seconds, and then it's only my grip that fatigues, not my arms. But locking out the elbows? Down to 5 seconds, 4 sets. Building to 8, then 15. I can do 3 sets of 5 XR dips with bent arms no problem. But I'm actually doing 30-second holds in a plank (yes, plank...not planche) position on the FLOOR with straight arms to strengthen the forearm tendons. Slooowwww...

For what it's worth, my bent arm strength is miles ahead of my straight arm strength. It's humbling to get them back to even. You sound enthusiastic to get going. Just don't want you to get stuck with another period of injury again.

J

Great inputs. I'll keep that in mind. Also thanks for the insights on the SLS bottom hold for connective tissue :)

An inverted hang is something I take for granted but you shouldn't if you can't hold one for a long period of time.

Work the german hang with your feet on the floor as mobility.

Can you do a hollow or arch hold for a significant amount of time? If you can't, work on those.

YES. I do them as part of my yoga. Long holds of Boat Pose and Supermans.. with 5-6 long slow deep ujjaiy breaths.

I dont think I have tried testing the inverted hang for long. What would be long enough.. as a good starter?

For the German hang do you mean starting and ending with feet on the ground... so the START & END positions (of the skin the cat / german hang motion) exert less force / pressure on me?

I prefer not to try get into the german hang from the bottom but prefer to lower into it from inverted hang or inverted pike.

You'll notice a WOD the other day called for 5x15s of german hang and invert. Start there.

All this would be easier if you just did the scaled GB WOD. Especially as a newbie.

I prefer not to try get into the german hang from the bottom but prefer to lower into it from inverted hang or inverted pike.

You'll notice a WOD the other day called for 5x15s of german hang and invert. Start there.

All this would be easier if you just did the scaled GB WOD. Especially as a newbie.

Its hard to keep scaling every time and trying new WODs at this point. I think after I've done the workouts, the exercises etc several weeks / months I might give it a shot.

I've tweaked the workout some more and will be posting it for your comments :)