Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

bicep strength and elbow hyperextension

Gerald Mangona

Gerald Mangona

My arms/elbow naturally hyperextend by a few degrees. I took this week off because of forearm splints, and I've determined that they really flared up when I transitioned to doing basic straight arm work. Straight arms on supports. Straight arms at the top of XR dips and XR push-ups. Straight arms on L-Sits. Straight arms on handstand. I've been over-tensing the forearms/biceps to protect the elbow, and that killed it.

So obvs, when I return back to work, I'm going to halt all straight arm postures and work on improving bent-arm strength for awhile. Probably the next 6 weeks or so before I start trying the straight arm stuff again.

2 Questions:

(1) Is there are an intermediate straight arm progression on XR support that I can do before just trying to straighten my arms and supporting my total weight? I can hold a slightly bent support on the rings for 60s with out shaking or anything. But with the hyperextension plus 180 lbs., it's too much for me to fully straighten, even with the rings turned in.

(2) What exercise can I do to really strengthen the biceps so that they can support the straight arm? Right now I'm tensing my bicep and forearms so much just to protect the joint from all the force. The forearm tensing is specifically what flared up my tendons. So are chin-ups and dumbell curls enough? I tried doing the inverted curl from a tuck and pike position. Uhm...no way I'll get full ROM on those. I tried Slizzardman's "preacher curl" subsitute. Nope. Just wondering if there's anything else I should do. Otherwise I'll work on the chin-up progression to full L-chins.

(3) My fists love the bucket of rice. So I'll keep doing that.

Thanks all - J

1. Work the straight arm support in horizontal fashion aka pushup or plank.

2. Pullups in supinated fashion (hands toward aka chin-ups), curls, rope climb. Many people will not get full ROM on the inverted curls. It's bloody hard.

Gerald Mangona

2. Pullups in supinated fashion (hands toward aka chin-ups), curls, rope climb. Many people will not get full ROM on the inverted curls. It's bloody hard.

Seriously. It's ridiculous.

I have the same problem as you and possibly worse, mine isn't just a little bit of hyper extension its quite a bit. I found that to not injure that area it is important to do two things.

1. Progress with elbow prep work like coach recommends and how it is outlined in the book. However for moves that are more elbow joint intensive do not get discourage by slower progress than with other moves ex: your back lever will probably take quite a bit longer than front lever. The elbow joint will be the weak link in those moves. Do not, if you value your elbow health, progress to a harder variation until the variation you are working feels VERY easy at the elbow joint. I have made many mistakes by progressing to a harder variation when the move felt easy everywhere but the elbow I felt slight strain and thought progressing would be ok, it wasn't.

2. At least for me I found that allowing the elbow to go into hyper extension is diminishing to elbow health as well as strength. Whenever I work any straight arm moves I make sure that I lock the elbow in the straight position without letting it go into hyper extension and keep it there for the whole time, if I fail then I am working a variation beyond my elbows strength.

As far as starting I have found that pulling through the german hang is great elbow conditioning when I force my elbow to not hyper extend a(palms down of course).

For #2 I have seen some gymnasts that let their elbows hyper extend on e,bow intensive moves like the swallow. I do not know weather this is an angle illusion or if they are actually letting it hyper extend. For my self I have found that letting my elbow hyper extend in straight arm work will lead to some significant elbow pain at the bicep joint.