Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

BWE or gymnastics for tall people

Bilo99

Hallo everybody,

this is my first entry. i have started doing BWEs since half a year. but it is very hard to get progress as i am very tall. so my height to strength ratio is very bad. i am 202cm at 98 kg. before i made BWE i was not very sporty. now i wanted to do some of the gymnasics strength exercises but the leverage is very uncomfortable.

At this point my performances are:

15 consecutive push ups

1 pull up

2 chinups

3 dips

So do you have any suggestions how to create my workout especially with my bad leverage. And makes it sense to train for a planche?

You should focus firstly to improve your " basic " , push up , dips ,pull up.

Get at least 50 push up , more 10 pull up , more 20-30 dips.. before think to do gymnast move.

You must have better skill before begin gymnast training.

good luck

Neal Winkler

Just use basic workout templates (Mon/Wed/Fri - 3-5 sets x 5-10 reps).

A static strength move you can start to work on is l-sits. Work on body rows to help with your pulls/chins.

Do you have the book? There are progressions in there for someone of your strength.

thanks for the replys.

that is what i am doing right now. i only do the basics (Pushups, pull ups, bodyweight squats) 2-3 times a week. But the progressions are very difficult. I hoped you can give sugggestions especially for tall people with a bad height (weight) to strength ratio.

thanks

Bilo, it would not make sense at this time to focus on planche. However, frogstand work and straight arm frogstand would be beneficial (though I think advanced frog stand is probably beyond you right now). Planche leans would be a good thing to work on but you still need to build basic strength of pullups, pushups and dips.

I wonder if your lack of ability in these is simply that you haven't trained them for a long enough time. GreaseTheGroove (look it up) isn't a bad idea either.

Wall HS, L-sit, body lever and superman/arch body hold (look up reverse hyper machine) would be statics you should focus on. Most beginners at that level will also work the planche lean (though it will basically be a pushup where you lean your shoulders over your fingertips).

Bilo, though you have long levers, the road to strength training is the same. Proper progression and volume with good recovery.

Gerald Mangona

Bilo I'm 5' 10", 175 lbs. Though I'm not as tall as you, I've got long monkey arms and fairly long legs, too. I was where you were about a year ago.

Now I'm at...

L-pullups (tuck position) working up to 5 x 5

Dips 5 x 5 on rings

Pushups 3 x 8 on rings (feet elevated)

Ring rows 3 x 8 (feet elevated)

The long monkey arms made the pull-up progression slooooooooow at the beginning. But as Blairbob says, gymnastics will work for you, but you need to work the strength up before doing some of the progressions. That may even mean that you are working easier progressions than the ones in the book.

With the pull-ups, I'd probably work 3 sets of 10 negatives for your FBE. FSP could just be a hang at the top of the pull-up position, 10s x 6 sets.

Your pushups are probably strong enough to start working them on the rings. If you can't do 3 reps cleanly, then do them on your knees.

Dips you'll probably have to modify so that you're doing them with your legs supported and then dipping between two chairs.

And I concur with the above about the body rows. If you're not strong enough to do them with your legs at the floor, then lengthen the rings until you can put your feet under ring position and then lean back 45 degrees until you work up strength.

Handstand work, frogstand (with knees on elbows), L-sits are all still legit moves for you. Though with the L-sit and long legs, it'll be some work. Probably good to do them at the top of a staircase so that you can still get a workout even if your legs at 40 degrees below parallel. Private message me if you want to see how I turned those exercises into a routine....

Jerry

Nick Van Bockxmeer

as a tall person you must be prepared to spend a lot more time working up towards not very impressive things :lol:

be prepared to find ways to scale even basic exercises down. To work pullups and dips you will probably have to support at least half of your bodyweight with your legs so you can get a good number of reps. you will be strong enough to start with the push up and row progressions.

and for statics, tucked L sit, frogstand, front support on rings, handstands against wall, tucked front and back levers will probably be some good goals.

progress is more important that final results. you will never get a maltese. But if you can build up to a front lever at 98kg you will be mad strong.

Neal Winkler

Just keep in mind that your lower progression is actually the same as a shorter persons higher progression.

Wow, thanks for the informations.

i see, i just have to fight with my small progressions, even if it is getting boring. the only static holds i try are the frog stand and the l- sit, but my long legs are getting very long (if you know waht i mean ;-))

@JmanDetroit wow that was very informing. Thank you. Could you please give me your workout routine. i mean the older ones. the time when you were at my level.

Bye

Bilal

by the way: how is my english? i hope you understand me

Erik Sjolin
as a tall person you must be prepared to spend a lot more time working up towards not very impressive things :lol:

It's true, and if you're like me, you'll probably find the hardest thing to do (once you've got an acceptable level of strength) is being able to transfer from adv. tuck to straddle in your static exercises.

Something I do to help this is (for example, front lever) wear (sort of) heavy ankle weights in the adv tuck to build upper body strength, occasionally trying the straddle. Of course, if you have better flexibility than I do, it shouldn't be a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in kid of the same boat as you ATM with a 6'5'' frame at 230lbs. Plus I'm having to take it steady due to previous injuries. I've found lots of negatives and a few basic statics like everyone so far has suggested give great results. Just make sure you stick to steady state cycles (SSC- 8weeks of the same workouts, then test your max again and do 50% of your max hold time for statics and just up the intensity of your negatives slightly in the next cycle). Here's a link to my workout log if it helps:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4014

You'll probably be better substituting the Lateral raises for handstands though, I only do them due to a shoulder injury and will be doing handstands when my shoulder is completely better. The fingertip holds are a choice thing really, you don't really need them but I realy want to do L-sits on my fingertips, think they'll much cooler that way! :lol: