Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

scheduling program with other workouts

Heather McDonald

Heather McDonald

I love this program but I am finding it difficult to fit it in with my existing workout schedule....

I typically workout 5-6 days a week - early in the morning and have an hour to do my workouts each day. It's important for me to be able to run, bike (peloton) and lift weights.... any pointers on how to fit this amazing program in to what I am already doing? I have thought about canceling my gymfit membership but I really don't wan to do this because I think it's a great program... but how do I fit it all in?

Alessandro Mainente
6 hours ago, Heather McDonald said:

I love this program but I am finding it difficult to fit it in with my existing workout schedule....

I typically workout 5-6 days a week - early in the morning and have an hour to do my workouts each day. It's important for me to be able to run, bike (peloton) and lift weights.... any pointers on how to fit this amazing program in to what I am already doing? I have thought about canceling my gymfit membership but I really don't wan to do this because I think it's a great program... but how do I fit it all in?

Hi Heather, the most important thing before giving suggestions is understanding your priority.

Heather McDonald

My priority is over all health and wellness and longevity. Secondary to that gain strength, build muscle and have fun!!! 

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Heather McDonald said:

My priority is over all health and wellness and longevity. Secondary to that gain strength, build muscle and have fun!!! 

Yes, i mean do you prefer using weights or using your body as unique resistance?

also consider than building muscles requires a specific diet program, more complex than building strength.

Heather McDonald

I would like to find a way to do both weights and body weight. I have a great home gym with power rack, barbell, dumbbells, cable machine, etc so I want to put to use my great equipment but also build functional body weight strength.... that’s where my struggle comes in, is figuring out how to do both 

Alessandro Mainente
13 hours ago, Heather McDonald said:

I would like to find a way to do both weights and body weight. I have a great home gym with power rack, barbell, dumbbells, cable machine, etc so I want to put to use my great equipment but also build functional body weight strength.... that’s where my struggle comes in, is figuring out how to do both 

This is not simple, definitely because you can have both local overload and system overload.

Creating a hybrid system requires much more time and personal knowledge about you. do not misunderstand me BUT i made a body recomposition program that leads to me being at 6% bodyfat. I mixed GST with the 3 big of powerlifting which is the deadlift, squat, and benchpress but every time i met my trainer we stayed about 6-8 hours for mixing the GST with liftings work. a lot of things should be considered as:

-your ability to move under the weight for the deadlift, squat and benchpress (but technique assessment is something out for this forum purposes);

-the local volume of a joint;

-the total volume of work on the body.

So my suggestion is following one system at the time, do you want bodyweight work? go for it, do you want to lift the weight? go for it. but hybrid systems are much more complex than what people normally think and really they require a more supervised tutelage. the only one time i have tried to mix them by myself i reached something like overtraining syndrome.

Heather McDonald

Given your experience, can you run me through pros and cons of both methods? Is one better than the other for functional strength or strength gains? What are your thought on the need for cardio training in addition to strength training? 

Do you work with online clients for training (outside of your work with GST?)

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Heather McDonald said:

Given your experience, can you run me through pros and cons of both methods? Is one better than the other for functional strength or strength gains? What are your thought on the need for cardio training in addition to strength training? 

Do you work with online clients for training (outside of your work with GST?)

First, i do not offer online coaching, i'm sorry.

LIfting weigth is simply non-functional. you do not learn any movement that can be applied to other sports. isolation means "finding the best angle to activate certain muscle fibers" and this is not what happens when you move.

It is not a matter of what is better but rather what you want to do now.

I dislike the idea of training per se without motivation etc.

the matter of functional strength is particular in the sense that every strength gain is functional for your purposes. i mean that if you get stronger in bench press then you can use the greater neural activation to increase hypertrophy (if you are eating properly). so benchpress strength gain is functional for bench press.

now, all of my students using GST have very strange gains also on the lifting exercises and simply they can move better because mobility is a part of the GST process.