Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

On warming up: 7-minute vs. Daily LImber

Ian Forest-Jones

Ian Forest-Jones

There are a number of topics on this forum that skirt around this issue, so please allow me to ask this question just to be clear: The 7-minute Warmup and Daily Limber videos are both available but do different stretches. Are they essentially the same routine? Should I do one or the other or both?

I have completed the Fundamentals course and have been progressing through Level 1/Foundations 1. However, I am still confused about warming up.

I think the consensus here is that doing 10 minutes of cardio before anything is recommended.

My current practice is to do the 7-minute Warmup first, in the place of the 10 minutes of cardio, then to follow this up with the Daily Limber. While the description says Daily Limber should only take 5 mins, I do each stretch for about 30 seconds. I should probably increase this to 60.

The 7-minute Warmup does not seem to be as much a total body routine as the Daily Limber.

Would anyone like to chime in on this subject? Can you please clear this up for me? Thanking you in advance.

Either way, the Stretch Series is really helping me to recover from my long distance running and, as a 50-year old, I am much more confident during the body weight workouts than when lifting weights by myself in my home gym.

Alessandro Mainente
22 hours ago, Ian Forest-Jones said:

There are a number of topics on this forum that skirt around this issue, so please allow me to ask this question just to be clear: The 7-minute Warmup and Daily Limber videos are both available but do different stretches. Are they essentially the same routine? Should I do one or the other or both?

I have completed the Fundamentals course and have been progressing through Level 1/Foundations 1. However, I am still confused about warming up.

I think the consensus here is that doing 10 minutes of cardio before anything is recommended.

My current practice is to do the 7-minute Warmup first, in the place of the 10 minutes of cardio, then to follow this up with the Daily Limber. While the description says Daily Limber should only take 5 mins, I do each stretch for about 30 seconds. I should probably increase this to 60.

The 7-minute Warmup does not seem to be as much a total body routine as the Daily Limber.

Would anyone like to chime in on this subject? Can you please clear this up for me? Thanking you in advance.

Either way, the Stretch Series is really helping me to recover from my long distance running and, as a 50-year old, I am much more confident during the body weight workouts than when lifting weights by myself in my home gym.

Ian...there is a big difference in

daily limber.....basically relaxing

and

warmup....that is preparation for training.

they are not alternatives...they are different things for a different purpose in a different moment of the training session.

i suggest you to read my answer in this post about how to structure the warm up.

• Thanks 1

Ian Forest-Jones

Alessandro,

I think you meant your comment in this topic: 

Anyway, so I believe you are telling me to start my workout with 10 mins cardio, then the 7-minute Warmup, whatever my workout is for that day, then finish it all off with the Daily Limber (if I have not done a stretching routine already). Does this sound correct?

Alessandro Mainente
11 hours ago, Ian Forest-Jones said:

Alessandro,

I think you meant your comment in this topic: 

Anyway, so I believe you are telling me to start my workout with 10 mins cardio, then the 7-minute Warmup, whatever my workout is for that day, then finish it all off with the Daily Limber (if I have not done a stretching routine already). Does this sound correct?

No, if you read my answer to the post i have specified the best way to warm up.

• 3 weeks later...
Ian Forest-Jones

Alessandro,

In that post, your response to Allison states: “hI Allison, it always depends on the primary deficit. Do you have enough range of motion available? develop it then build strength through it. please pay attention that in a specific situation there are limitations concerned with genetic that cannot be overcome. for example the ankles mobility. you have low chances to develop it after the growth.”

As you can see, it mentions nothing about how to do a proper warmup. Have I missed something or not followed the links properly?

Alessandro Mainente
1 hour ago, Ian Forest-Jones said:

Alessandro,

In that post, your response to Allison states: “hI Allison, it always depends on the primary deficit. Do you have enough range of motion available? develop it then build strength through it. please pay attention that in a specific situation there are limitations concerned with genetic that cannot be overcome. for example the ankles mobility. you have low chances to develop it after the growth.”

As you can see, it mentions nothing about how to do a proper warmup. Have I missed something or not followed the links properly?

Generally speaking a proper warmup for foundations should require:

-5-10' of cardio;

-rotations and controlled swings of the body parts;

-perform as a giant set all the exercises already mastered. for exampled you did sPl PE2 mastered...the use 60'' of PE2 as a warmup for planche and so on.

Ian Forest-Jones

Thank you so much Alessandro.

Can I please rephrase your answer so that I am sure I am understanding you correctly? So, generally speaking, a proper warm-up for me should be:

• 5-10 cardio (in my case, I'll do stationary bike or jump rope)
  • the 7-minute Warm-up routine (I do have another routine but this one seems to cover the total body better)
  • whatever my workout is for that day (I run 2-3x per week, but am also going through Foundations 1)
  • finish my workout with one of the Foundation stretching routines or the Daily Limber

I'm sorry but you are using personal trainer speech and I am probably more detail obsessed than I need to be. If I feel like I might be wrong, even in the smallest detail, I start to get anxious about doing it wrong and causing damage.

My running makes me quite sore and tight (I am training for my 6th 100km event). It then becomes hard to be motivated to do stretching. Having a set routine keeps me focused on what is important (e.g. stretching and strengthening the supporting muscles besides my calves).

Thank you for your patience.

• Thanks 1

Alessandro Mainente
12 hours ago, Ian Forest-Jones said:

Thank you so much Alessandro.

Can I please rephrase your answer so that I am sure I am understanding you correctly? So, generally speaking, a proper warm-up for me should be:

• 5-10 cardio (in my case, I'll do stationary bike or jump rope)
  • the 7-minute Warm-up routine (I do have another routine but this one seems to cover the total body better)
  • whatever my workout is for that day (I run 2-3x per week, but am also going through Foundations 1)
  • finish my workout with one of the Foundation stretching routines or the Daily Limber

I'm sorry but you are using personal trainer speech and I am probably more detail obsessed than I need to be. If I feel like I might be wrong, even in the smallest detail, I start to get anxious about doing it wrong and causing damage.

My running makes me quite sore and tight (I am training for my 6th 100km event). It then becomes hard to be motivated to do stretching. Having a set routine keeps me focused on what is important (e.g. stretching and strengthening the supporting muscles besides my calves).

Thank you for your patience.

it is a good template!