Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A little confused about designing a training programme

Hiten

Hello I'm new here and have just read the book "gymnastic bodies: The Science of strength training" and have a few questions.

Coach says that one possible plan is to train 4 days a week. How many different exercises can I do in one day? Is it just one static, one dynamic, one pull etc, or do I just select one, and do the others on the other days? The exercise I want to concentrate on is the planche. So do I train the planche progressions once a week and then other exercises on the other days or can I train the planche 4 days a week?

Secondly, in the book it says to move on to a harder progression once I can hold a position for 15 seconds or more but in coach's article on the planche it says wait untill you can hold the progression for 60 seconds before moving onto the harder variation. I'm currently on the advanced tuck planche. For how long should I be able to hold the position before moving on to the straddle planche?

Thanks

Hiten

A lot of this depends on your current level of abilities.

What can you currently do? What is your height/weight?

What are your goals?

This may help you get the basics together into a routine:

http://www.eatmoveimprove.com/2010/03/t ... h-training

I'm 23, height is 5"5, weight is 112lbs. Currently I train 5-6 days a week, twice a day, doing mainly bodyweight exercises such as one leg squats, assisted one arm pullups, handstand pushups against a wall etc. For conditioning I skip rope, sprint and work on a heavy bag. I'm not a beginner when it comes to training, but I am a beginner if you're talking about gymnastics style training. I can hold an advanced tuck planche for about 10 seconds with straight arms and I can do 1 rep of a handstand pushup against a wall.

My current strength goals are to be able to hold a straddle planche, be able to hold a human flag (I'm not training this curently as I need to build up my shoulder strength with handstand pushups first), to be able to do a one arm pullup, and be able to do handstand pushups without the aid of a wall.

I mainly want to focus on the planche.

For the statics I would say move up when you can hold the next one about 5-10s.

For straddle planche and above though if you want to do multiple holds at 2-3s instead it may be more beneficial as progress typically slows down a lot once you reach this level.

Other than that seems like you are well on your way.

Thanks everyone. Also, currently I'm only doing the planche, but is it okay to do the front lever progressions as well, on the same day?

Currently my strength training is like this: I try to do this 5 times a week

Afternoon-assisted one arm pullups,single leg squats,headstand pushups against a wall, wrist work

All exercises consist of 2 sets and 1-5 reps. The session lasts from 40 minutes to an hour

Evening-planche progressions-up to 60 seconds like it says in Coach's book, dragon flags-2 sets of 1-5. This session lasts about 15 minutes.

What I'm asking is would it be ok for me to add the front lever to my afternoon workout or would it be too much? I'm thinking I could just grease the groove with headstand pushups instead of including it in my afternoon workout and replace it with front lever progressions.