Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question about Back Walkovers/Hello!

Tyler Phillips

Tyler Phillips

Hello everyone, my name's Tyler and I'm new to this forum. I've been reading over quite a bit of this material and I've been very excited about everything I've learned so far - it's already made a difference in my training. I train in gymnastics informally on my own time (meaning without a gymnasium), working a lot of static strength holds on the floor and doing strength training on my pair of gymnast rings, and I'm also learning movement skills (ie flips) from a tumbler friend of mine. I do other stuff too, such as rock climbing, swimming, and martial arts, but far and away gymnastics is the most fun and I'm glad to be learning it. So I'm also saying thanks for providing this platform to share all of this information with otherwise clueless enthusiasts. :D

Okay enough gushing about me, as I do have a question about something I've been struggling with: The Back Walkover, specifically kicking up from a bridge to a handstand - I have the flexibility to go from standing to a bridge without too much trouble. My understanding is that, from a bridge, I'm supposed to kick my legs up one after the other while leaning more onto my hands while in the bridge. I don't think it's a flexibility issue, since my hips and shoulders are quite flexible. I just can't seem to push off my legs hard enough to initiate the kick-over. I've practiced pushing off walls, but I don't seem to be progressing at all. Do I just need to try more consistently? I kinda train it on and off so I may just need to train it more. I can even do a front walkover the whole way through (though the form could use work...). So any tips you guys could give me would help a lot, since everything else for the time being I think I should be fine on my own (for now :) ). Also, sorry if I posted this in the wrong place; again, new here.

Thank you!

Joshua Naterman

SKill development is where you would want to post this.

Edit: I copied and pasted this to Skill Development as "Tylers Question about Back Walk-overs" so check there. It's important to post in the right place so that the right people see your question! I hope you get good responses!

Blairbob has a video somewhere that shows the progression for this. I searched but couldn't find it.

It involves things like raising your feet/legs up, rocking back and forth, etc...

Well, the bridge wall walk/limber drills are considered joint prep and flexibility somewhat though the BWO is a skill.

Based on this:

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=350&highlight=#p1028

Mostly, the bridge kickover is achieved by scaling height. I think some kids sometimes are too weak in their abdominal and back strength to pull their legs over or their shoulder girdle is too weak at times as well.

Of course, working shoulder mobility helps.

Tyler Phillips

I see. I'm sure my abs have to be strong enough, and my back has been playing a lot of catch-up with my abs strength-wise with all of my balanced training so that may have something to do with it. No matter the case those progressions look good and challenging, and that demo video of sorts is a great visual aid so I'll definitely be taking notes form that. Thanks for the quick response!

And yeah as soon as I posted this topic I noticed there was a section better suited for the question. :oops: I'll pay better attention next time. Until then I'll keep workin'.

That demo video doesn't really show the bridge wall walk as well as it should. I've seen a few better out there and one was posted here but I don't have a clue where it is on youtube.