Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Static Strength training protocols

Kamali Downey

Kamali Downey

Question for Coach regarding static strength training:

I have the book and the videos but 1 thing is not clear to me regarding static training protocol:

I currently work statics 4 times a week, training the progressions on all the Fudamental Static Positions each of the 4 days.

1) Do u see a problem with simultaneously training/developing the l-sit, planche, manna, straddle l, and front and back lever all at the same time?

That is how I've been doing it, and just wanted to know if you thought that was too much at once/overkill and if so, which ones would be omitted for now.

Thank you very much in advance for you time and help.

Joshua Naterman

I suppose that depends almost entirely on your results! It's certainly possible that your current volume is too much, but it's also perfectly reasonable for the current volume to be just right.

As an example, I'm doing my statics 3x a week, and it's working very well for me, but I'm doing closer to 120-160 seconds of total volume, much more than the 60s. Then again, I am not training Manna or BL. If I was I'd have to cut back on some of the other work, I think. My body is responding better this way, but that doesn't mean yours will. 4x per week on all of them would be too much for what I am doing, I think, but it may be perfect for you.

In the end, stick with it for 3 months and see what happens. If you aren't seeing increases in your max hold times on everything than something is wrong either with your muscle balance, your postural and support muscles, your programming, or possibly a mix of these.

No I don't really.

It's a better question if it's too much or not enough for you. That depends on a lot. Your training background, how much work you can do in a workout and keep up during the week and over a 8-12 week period. I'm sure some of us can do a lot more in 1 workout that we do but then we might have to adjust our normal programming to recover properly.

There really isn't a need for L-sit so much if you can do a basic L-sit for long enough. I work straddle-L because my straddle-L sucks and I figure it's what you need before you can work the manna progressions. You could alternate manna progression and just V-sit though.

A real beginner should keep to HS, L-sit, Body lever, Skin the Cats/German Hang. I have my boys split time between straddle-L and L-sit but for some people straddle-L may be of no interest. On the other hand, a lot of my boys only are on the first progression of tuck levers and frog stand or planche lean. Sometimes, I switch it. They are rec, so they are there for fun and to get stronger though they may never compete. Tough call.

Our little kids pretty much all work L-sit and Straddle-L and the hang versions, HeS/HS, planche leans on a floor bar and maybe the body levers depending on what level (they may work body lever as an inverted hang on a single rail) . This is what most of our girls program does. This is very similar to what my beginners typically will do though I work skin the cats in there as well.

Again, it all gets down to what you can do and keep up and not crash and burn.

Tarun Suri
I work straddle-L because my straddle-L sucks and I figure it's what you need before you can work the manna progressions.

Is this true? I don't remember seeing it laid out in that manner in the book. Or is this based on your experience?

Joshua Naterman

The compression will make the Manna lift easier from the MSH, but that's it. The strength itself is different.

Kamali Downey

Thanks for the replies guys....

Let me rephrase my question since I think I'm not getting my point across.

Are any of these Fundamental Static Positions prerequisites for other (harder) Fundamental Static Positions?

For example:

1.) Should a solid (30 sec or so) L sit be mastered before moving to Straddle L ?

2.) or should a solid L sit be mastered before attempting any planche progression work (Frogstand, etc.) whatsoever?

3.) same question for manna work? Is being capable of doing a L sit or Straddle L a prereq for starting manna work.

IOW, can all of these progressions be trained right of the gate, or are some of them best left until you have mastered other FSPs.

Also, it would seem that front and back lever can be trained simultaneously from day 1......

I want to be make sure I'm maximizing my time and not doing too much work that is unnecessary. I have a tendency to over do things so I'm just checking to get others' input. Thanks for the help

About my background, former power lifter, and have lifted weights for well over a decade.

Joshua Naterman

No, that's why they are all considered fundamental. To be a well-rounded gymnast you need to practice them all.

The only time you wouldn't train one is if you are too weak to work the first progression properly.

Coach Sommer
Should a solid (30 sec or so) L sit be mastered before moving to Straddle L ? ... or should a solid L sit be mastered before attempting any planche progression work (Frogstand, etc.) whatsoever? ... same question for manna work? Is being capable of doing a L sit or Straddle L a prereq for starting manna work.

Yes, no and yes.

My personal opinion is that for a fitness enthusiast the progression of L-sit to straddle L to MSH to Manna work would provide the greatest gains in the least amount of time. Maintainence work for the prior progression is of course necessary and is most easily accomplished by performing a 30 sec set for each of the prior steps in the progression before beginning that day's focused work.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

When you say a solid l-sit, do you mean the basic horizontal l-sit or the advanced l-sit as outlined in BtGB?

Thanks in advance.

Coach Sommer
do you mean the basic horizontal l-sit or the advanced l-sit as outlined in BtGB?

The advanced.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Thanks for the reply, coach. Would you recommend waiting until manna is acquired to begin serious training on ring l-sits/ straddle-ls? Or are these more usefully addressed by ring series etc. ?

Again, thanks in advance to everyone,

Nick F

Nic Scheelings

Definitely start training l-sits on rings before a full manna! If u've got a good l/straddle sit on floor or p-bars it really is not that much more difficult on rings once u get used to the instability.