Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stretch Series and Mobility with Minor Hamstring Tear

Ryan T Smith

I am recovering from a minor hamstring tear (tear is to muscle belly and not connective tissue), but do not want to stop all GST while in the recovery process. I am currently working through Foundation 1 with Middle Split and Front Split during a given week. Stretching seems to aggravate the hamstring tear (even light stretching).

What exercises can I continue, and which should I discontinue until fully healed?

Also, what indicators should I look for that indicate my hamstring is ready for more intense workload?

Thanks,

Ryan

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Ryan, how did you tear the hamstring and where the tear is located?

I tore it playing baseball (accelerating between bases). The tear is about 4 inches above my knee.

I feel a little tightness when I do moderate straight leg stretching. I feel the most tightness with light bent knee stretches with anterior pelvic tilt (such as in Restore Hamstring). 

The tear happened almost 3 weeks ago now. 

Alessandro Mainente

I think that in your case if the knees is affected by pain on the daily activity you should rest in this acute phase until the pain is gone.

If the knee is not affected, is there risk of over stretching it?

If so, what signs should I be looking for that indicate I am overdoing it?

Alessandro Mainente

Many factors, for sure now with a tear the muscles is weak. probably 3 weeks are not enough for the repairing process.