Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAI (hip impingement)

Abraham Katzal

Abraham Katzal

Hi ,

The last three  years i have been feeling a light annoying dim pinch in my right hip front side.

i thought it was just some inflammation that would go away. but it didn't , actually got worse and more persistent 

to the point i could barely walk .can't sit  ...any hip flexion creates pain.

long story short....got an MRI that confirms FAI = femoral acetabulom impingement cam type. aka  hip impingement  .

Any way ...does any one have any experience with this issue ? Has any one been through this ?  personal experience ? what would be a proper protocol for recovery ? 

i have been doing : Hip extension, hip ABD . hip ADD, variety of exercises, seen some improvement but not much. about a 8 months now.

thinking of surgery...don't know...

Any tips or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks !

Everett Carroll

Hey Abraham,

You should see a physio about this issue and get a recovery protocol from them. This is not something we can provide help with.

Alessandro Mainente
On 2/2/2019 at 8:25 PM, Abraham Katzal said:

Hi ,

The last three  years i have been feeling a light annoying dim pinch in my right hip front side.

i thought it was just some inflammation that would go away. but it didn't , actually got worse and more persistent 

to the point i could barely walk .can't sit  ...any hip flexion creates pain.

long story short....got an MRI that confirms FAI = femoral acetabulom impingement cam type. aka  hip impingement  .

Any way ...does any one have any experience with this issue ? Has any one been through this ?  personal experience ? what would be a proper protocol for recovery ? 

i have been doing : Hip extension, hip ABD . hip ADD, variety of exercises, seen some improvement but not much. about a 8 months now.

thinking of surgery...don't know...

Any tips or advise will be appreciated.

Thanks !

The FAI syndrome if necessary can be treated by surgery. no alternatives. it is a bone conformation, it cannot be improved.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 4:59 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

The FAI syndrome if necessary can be treated by surgery. no alternatives. it is a bone conformation, it cannot be improved.

Hi Alessandro,

I have been doing GB for the last three months or so and have found it to be a fantastic motivator and a great help in building strength and mobility. 

I too have FAI (along with an associated partial labrum tear in the right hip), though it is relatively mild and I am hoping to avoid surgery as it doesn't bother me much during day-to-day activities. I worked with a PT for much of last year to build the hip and core strength I was told would help prevent hip pain and get me back to doing the higher intensity physical exercise I'd had to avoid for some time. Though I'm no longer seeing the PT, I am following a regime of hip-focused exercises that he suggested at home and have been able to slowly return to activities such as boxing and spinning.

With this in mind, as I continue through the GB curriculum, are there any particular exercises that you might suggest I avoid because they might aggravate my hip?

Thanks so much for your help.

-Alex