Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tendon soreness

Anita Clarke

Heya

I've been doing GB for several years now and am working currently on F-2/3 Elements. I typically hit each element twice a week and the stretch series's once. Before I did GB I used to lift weights and do a lot of different weightless exercises, many similar to what we do in GB. When I would get done with these exercises about 24- 36 hours later I would get sore in the muscle (DOMS). This continued into F-1. After time doing F-2/3 I began to find myself not getting muscle belly sore, but tendon sore. I keep getting soreness at the connection points, such as the traps at the neck and mid back and many of tendons in the area of the knee. The soreness is not as delayed as it used to be, sometimes it is almost immediate. I have also noticed that when I am really warmed up, the aches and pains seem to go away. Age? Hitting specific movements too frequently for me? Can anxiety cause this? I didn't used to have this problem 4 years ago. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?:) 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Anita, for sure as the intensity increases, then the time required for recovery is higher.

if the problems still persist please consult a doctor and perform some blood exams, low level of CPK can explain this problem.

I was under the impression that as you moved into the ladder of the foundations the movements required more frequency. When I am doing elements that I have mastered I don't seem to get the same effects. If I am doing something that is challenging for my body I get sore in the tendons primarily. I find it curious that the muscle belly does not seem to get sore. On the training side, are you recommending that I move to the coaches recommended training schedule, once a week per element, instead of twice to see if it clears up?

Alessandro Mainente

HI Anita, for the moment yes, use the suggested schedule and update me about how it goes.

• 1 month later...

I am doing better now. I think I was going to hard on each element to often, so I backed off reduced to the once a week and seem to be doing better. The main source of tendon problems I am having now seem to deal with the hamstring. My left hamstring, which used to be my more flexible leg, in the last few years has become tight and kinda stiff/painful. (I can stretch it out, but it seems to afterwards irritate it and then returns to its previous state) I had been being seen by a P/T for quite a while and he said that my hamstring issue was an issue with my slight APT, that the hips were pulling it into full extension leaving little room to stretch. I found that hard to believe considering when you stretch it kinda puts you in that position anyway, making that a moot point. If I remember correctly you are a P/T yourself, would you be willing to give me a little insight on what could cause a otherwise flexible hamstring to be tight and stiff (considering you are training regularly and correctly) I have found it to be very difficult when talking to Dr's and P/T's to get proper answers to my questions, because they just do not know what level of training we do here at GB. When you can bend down and put your face near your toes they assume nothing is wrong with you:)