Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

when doing high repetitions?

Rafael David

Rafael David

At the moment my training is based only on embedded work, 3d per week on alternate days, which consists in this:

Warm up: short circuit FBE (Easy movements):

flat tuck FL row + pushup + pullup + box headstand pushup + chins + dips + box SLS + half HLL

all made in this sequence, 12 rep each, no rest

passive stretching

5-10min up here

BL variation (half of my max) + pull variation (3-5 rep)

PL variation (half of my max) + push variation (3-5 rep)

FL variation (half of my max) + leg variation (3-5 rep)

L-sit variation (half of my max) + core variation (3-5 rep)

all on the same day, 3 rounds of each, 45-60 seconds rest between FSP and FBE and another pair

passive stretch to finish

finish in about 40-50min

Fortunately, after a few weeks I noticed large increases in strength, both in the FSP as in FBE

Earlier weighed 110lbs (5'6''), my nutrition was bad and I played soccer every day (I was very skinny even :cry: ). I went to a nutritionist and she improved my diet. however, before beginning this type of training so I worked out with bodyweight exercises (basically the same exercises to warm up), but did many reps (15-20) and about 3-4 sets, gained a lot of weight (90% muscle), 33lbs to be exact, without using any supplement and no drugs (not see the need)...

My problem: I want to gain more muscle! What do I do? Alternate the days of low reps and high reps? Alternate between week low reps and high rep?

I appreciate the help from anyone :D

P.S. if my text is too bad to understand is why I used a translator! I read English better than I write :(

You want to gain more weight?

Eat more.

Continue to work strength, and a lot of the added weight should go on as muscle

Rafael David

hi, thanks for the help, but I think the problem is not nutrition (eat more), believe that training is not giving sufficient stimulus for muscle growth as when I made high reps, this is my question, I follow exactly what says in the book, but I will always perform low reps (for strength)? and high reps? when they should be added to the training? :|

hi, thanks for the help, but I think the problem is not nutrition (eat more), believe that training is not giving sufficient stimulus for muscle growth as when I made high reps, this is my question, I follow exactly what says in the book, but I will always perform low reps (for strength)? and high reps? when they should be added to the training? :|

Gaining weight is always about eating more.

Whether it goes on as muscle or fat does depend on your workout though. If you want to add mass and you respond better to higher reps then go for that.

But realize that it may not work as well as low reps if you're also aiming for strength.

Rafael David

Ok, I understand, but I want strength (low reps) and size (high reps), not one or the other, I want both! How do I balance it? :?

Not low reps (under 5) and not high reps (over 12). I think you can guess at the range you should be working at. Adjust the resistance/progression difficulty according to the rep scheme.

Rafael David
Not low reps (under 5) and not high reps (over 12). I think you can guess at the range you should be working at. Adjust the resistance/progression difficulty according to the rep scheme.

how would that be? A period of resistance vary with a period of strength?

Joshua Naterman

You can alternate workouts between high reps and low reps. You can also start focusing more on adding volume to your low rep days and cutting down frequency for a few weeks, and then go back to regular training for a few. The extra volume will force more growth in some people, but will require more recovery as well.

You could also experiment with weight training. Doing weight training every other workout and always doing just the statics for warm up on weight training days would probably work well for you. External loads seem to produce better size gains for the most part, if that is what you are looking for. The strength you gain will still transfer to your gymnastic work as long as you continue it.

Rafael David
You can alternate workouts between high reps and low reps. You can also start focusing more on adding volume to your low rep days and cutting down frequency for a few weeks, and then go back to regular training for a few. The extra volume will force more growth in some people, but will require more recovery as well.

You could also experiment with weight training. Doing weight training every other workout and always doing just the statics for warm up on weight training days would probably work well for you. External loads seem to produce better size gains for the most part, if that is what you are looking for. The strength you gain will still transfer to your gymnastic work as long as you continue it.

seems a good idea ... I'll try that! thanks dude! :D