Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What do you call this exercise?

phken4343

The motion looks similar to a butterfly stroke for swimming. I learned this from one of my coaches at my high school. He said it helps train your shoulders and core.

By the way, I'm supposed to keep my elbows locked at all times, but it's pretty difficult. :P

08id_zVq6MM

Joshua Naterman

It reminds me intensely of my first planche lean, except that I fell much faster. Or it felt that way on my face at any rate...

John Sapinoso

swimmers have notoriously weak joints, I'm not so sure this is the best thing for your elbows if you haven't built sufficient tendon strength.

We used to call something similar planche falls.

From a prone position, do a controlled fall (aka slowly) lean forward and end up on your chest. A partner would hold your ankles and take off some weight so you could go slow. Or you can put the weight on your toes (flex the ankle) or instep.

You're just doing it with wide arms.

I used to really enjoy them and they made us really sore.

I guess I can ask my coach later. He suggested this exercise to help me with my back lever.

Ts00nami, i'm a gymnast and not a swimmer. :P

Blairbob, do you mind if you made a video of this exercise you did?

John Sapinoso

phew, okay good! anyways one day, way back when, me and a teammate were bored and we did something similar with frisbees to the front (like an ab wheel) to the side and maltese, and our coach ended up liking them and added it to our regular conditioning.

phken4343, I don't have a working camera right now so...

Our drill was the same except it was a planche and not a maltese.

Great suggestions by the way, Blair and ts00nami. I'm planning to get a back lever and a planche by next year, and I needed some exercises I could do over the summer.