Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Advise - Shoulder and Biceps Injury

Fahad Maddah

Hi all

I'm reaching you guys asking for an advise for my shoulder and bicep injuries

My training routine was bodyweight, Rings and some parallettes
I also used Gymnasticbodies stretching series

I injured my self I'm not sure how but probably was over training using the RINGS

The MRI results is
FINDINGS
The right supraspinatus tendon demonstrates bright signal that is seen reaching the tendon articular surface but not its bursal surface. Right acromioclavicular joint arthropathy is noticed. Type II acromion. Intermediate signal seen involving the subscapularis and intra-articular long head of biceps tendons. Normal MRI appearance of the glenoid labrum, gleno-humeral ligaments and joint capsule. Subacromial subdeltoid bursal fluid distension is noted. Normal appearance of the articular cartilage of the shoulder joint.
IMPRESSION
Right supraspinatus tendon partial thickness tear. Right acromioclavicular joint arthropathy. Subacromial subdeltoid bursitis. Intra-articular long head of biceps and subscapularis tendinopathy.

Doctor advised to take a rest and stop excersicing specially overhead exercises 
As I read that loading and exercising is better than resting for recovery 

Phisyo sessions here in Saudi Arabia are very expensive and most of it just Ice and laser therapy without any excersices

What's your advice
Should I rest or do any of GB programs or series
And how long will it take to heal from your experience

Thank you 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Fahad, personally I cannot really help you and nobody here can. Simply your situation is complex and with a situation that can vary from person to person. For sure you were not ready for rings, something that if approached prematurely without prepared shoulders could lead to very bad shoulder problems.

At this point of the pathology, you need to work paired with a PT, searching the solution or partial personal experience with no validity on the web is the worst solution. no matter if GB is probably one of the best worldwide places to find a solution on GST, we are not authorized to treat these type of problem. and if someone is authorized, your problem must be managed face to face.

Agreed with Alessandro. You will need to see a physio.

Initially you will need to rest it. You are correct in that "movement is better", but you need to be examined properly.

You are lucky that it is just the tendon. And this is the best news: "Normal MRI appearance of the glenoid labrum, gleno-humeral ligaments and joint capsule."

Richard Moran

You need to spend the money on a decent physio, no one can give you advice over the     internet. I’ve had a recent shoulder injury that I tried to fix myself. A couple of sessions with a physio, he identified the problems and gave me some basic exercises to work on, well worth the time and money spent. 

• Like 1

On 10/10/2018 at 11:44 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hi Fahad, personally I cannot really help you and nobody here can. Simply your situation is complex and with a situation that can vary from person to person. For sure you were not ready for rings, something that if approached prematurely without prepared shoulders could lead to very bad shoulder problems.

At this point of the pathology, you need to work paired with a PT, searching the solution or partial personal experience with no validity on the web is the worst solution. no matter if GB is probably one of the best worldwide places to find a solution on GST, we are not authorized to treat these type of problem. and if someone is authorized, your problem must be managed face to face.

Thank you Alessandro! 
Definitely, I'll look for a PT

On 10/10/2018 at 2:05 PM, Nick Murray said:

Agreed with Alessandro. You will need to see a physio.

Initially you will need to rest it. You are correct in that "movement is better", but you need to be examined properly.

You are lucky that it is just the tendon. And this is the best news: "Normal MRI appearance of the glenoid labrum, gleno-humeral ligaments and joint capsule."

Yeah, I'm lucky!
Usually how long does it take to heal? 2 months? more less?

Thank you

17 hours ago, Richard Moran said:

You need to spend the money on a decent physio, no one can give you advice over the     internet. I’ve had a recent shoulder injury that I tried to fix myself. A couple of sessions with a physio, he identified the problems and gave me some basic exercises to work on, well worth the time and money spent. 

Sure I will look for a good physio

How was your experience with the shoulder injury?

Thank you all!

Richard Moran

I had a shoulder impingement, mainly due to computer work, driving, poor sleeping positions and bad posture.  I was at a point where I couldn’t lift my hand above my head without pain. The physio was able to examine me, work out which muscles were not firing and how other muscles were compensating putting my shoulder in an position where the bones were rubbing on each other.  He gave me some simple exercises to restore movement and loosen what was tight plus some massage to help. I also did hydro therapy. He was able to identify tightness in other parts of my body which were also holding me back. Remember that your body is a connected unit and a pain in one part can easily affect other parts. I’ve  started back on the road to recovery and am adding a lot of the new restore and other workouts being released on this website. I’m not advising that using restore will fix you.  Get some physio first as it will pay massive dividends in your recovery, speak to the physio about long term physical goals, it will take time to heal an injury, I’m still recovering from ankle surgery over a year ago, but by being sensible and taking professional advice of someone who has seen me and assessed me in person I’m much further down the road than just trying to get there on my own. 

7 minutes ago, Richard Moran said:

I had a shoulder impingement, mainly due to computer work, driving, poor sleeping positions and bad posture.  I was at a point where I couldn’t lift my hand above my head without pain. The physio was able to examine me, work out which muscles were not firing and how other muscles were compensating putting my shoulder in an position where the bones were rubbing on each other.  He gave me some simple exercises to restore movement and loosen what was tight plus some massage to help. I also did hydro therapy. He was able to identify tightness in other parts of my body which were also holding me back. Remember that your body is a connected unit and a pain in one part can easily affect other parts. I’ve  started back on the road to recovery and am adding a lot of the new restore and other workouts being released on this website. I’m not advising that using restore will fix you.  Get some physio first as it will pay massive dividends in your recovery, speak to the physio about long term physical goals, it will take time to heal an injury, I’m still recovering from ankle surgery over a year ago, but by being sensible and taking professional advice of someone who has seen me and assessed me in person I’m much further down the road than just trying to get there on my own. 

I hope your shoulder and ankle heal faster. It takes time and everything can be healed and restored to normal and even better I belive! 

I thought of using restore, but as everybody advising me to see a professional to get a specialized and log term program for my situation. 

Anyone here used Acupuncture to speed up with the recovery? In addition to the phisyo sessions of course not alone? 

• Like 1

Tendons are tricky. A degenerate tendon (not yours) can take a month, or a year, to feel better. Sometimes they never fully heal.

A tear..I would give it at least three months. However, tendons need to be progressively loaded - tell your physio about your training, and what your long-term goals are.

So you will need to be patient and consistent.

Read https://old.reddit.com/r/overcominggravity/

and : https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

There are a lot of posts from people who, in my opinion (and it's only my opinion) have probably tried to do too much too quickly. There are also a lot of posts from people who have recovered from injury. It's best to not get injured in the first place, but sometimes it helps to teach a lesson.

With regard to acupuncture or dry needling (two different approaches), I read somewhere that 1/3 of people get a benefit, 1/3 hate it (me!) and 1/3 it makes no difference. It might be useful as a stimulus for the muscles around the rotator cuff, if the physio thinks you need it. Maybe!

Please let us know what happens.