Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Skiers & Surgically repaired ACL

Tyler Stowers

Tyler Stowers

Hi All,

Writing to gauge recommendations for the use of Skiers for a knee with a surgically repaired ACL

Context: Surgery was November of 2001 and I've had basically 17 years post surgery with no pain and a very active life. 

I begun seriously using GST training just a few months ago. When the skiers came up in the mobility progression, my surgically repaired knee was fairly sore the next day while the other knee was fine.

I stopped training entirely and the soreness has gone away, but I'm reluctant to continue.

Should I continue, reduce reps and slowly increase while connective tissue, tendon, and ligament strength surrounding my repaired ligament builds? or just omit this exercise entirely.

Thanks!

Try them without movement, so get maybe halfway into the position and stay there for 10-30 seconds (building up). Then repeat on the other side.

If it's ok the next day, go a bit longer during the next training session.

Similarly for SLS/PE2 and PE3.  For PE2 I'd go halfway down (which is probably 30% of the total load) and hold, building up to 30s. Then 2/3 down, which is probably 80% of the load, then a slow descent (10s or so) to the ground and stop, then a descent and ascent.

Bear in mind that although you're 17 years post-op, you are only a few months into the particular type of stress that is GB.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
Spencer Edgren 31976

How far down are you going in the skier?  I have an old meniscus injury that was sore from them so I started at only maybe going down 1/4 of the way and spent a few months building to full depth. Once full depth was achieved I stayed at the step for a few more months "milking" the drill for everything I could.  This seemed to work well, and I still do them regularly to keep the join supple and strong.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Spencer, for your case simply slow down the time of skill acquisition...did you had a surgery?