Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beginner program - many questions!

Maverick

Hello everyone! Thank you for taking the time to look at this. I have many questions that I couldn't find the exact answers for in the forums.

First, my main goals are hypertrophy/strength. I have seen pictures of gymnasts and they look really good.

Now, I would like to be able to perform the following exercises: muscle-ups, front lever, planche pushups, and handstand pushups. I am currently confused as to the best way to go about this.

Here is my confusion: I read about 'greasing the groove' and used it to increase my pullups from 0 to 12 in a matter of weeks. Now, I'm wondering if the same principles can be applied to all these exercises:

1. but I'm not sure if you can do them all everyday - is this safe/effective?!

2. what is the best way to progress - doing different exercises on each day or all the exercises everyday?

3. Is it best to do all the exercises 3x a week separated by 1 day of rest (M/W/F)?

Currently, I'm doing the following (none to failure):

M/W/F

3x pullups, 3x planche pushup progression (Back to back, followed by 2 mins rest)

3x pushups, 3x front lever progression (back to back, followed by 2 mins rest)

3x static handstand, 3x v-ups (back to back, followed by 2 mins rest)

3x pistol 1-leg squats

***CURRENTLY don't have rings so I can't do dips!!***

Now, I'm wondering if it is possible to do all this everyday - but decrease the intensity (number of reps). The reason I am asking is because I can't ever seem to increase the number of pullups I'm doing on this routine. No matter how hard I try, I can't increase my numbers - perhaps it's because I'm going to failure on occasion in my efforts? The most significant improvements I noticed were doing the grease the groove workouts everyday pullups, but I'm not sure if doing all this everyday is too much.

My primary concern is CNS overload. I have a huge propensity to do WAY too much because I have a high threshold for pain. I should mention that I used to do a bodybuilding/weightlifting routine and I got pretty big from that. It was high unfunctional though, because you would only destroy 1 bodypart a week and then it would be toast (ex: chest monday, back tuesday, etc...).

Thanks for all your help!!!

PS If someone has a plan set up for how to achieve my above goals, perhaps you could tell me! I'm also wondering about how to 'progress' under one of these programs. Do you continue adding reps or increasing the amount of time in a static hold once it becomes 'easy'? Or is it more planned than that (ie once a week, you add 5 reps etc...)?

You can do dips on chairs or barstools. Find a really sturdy chair or bend your knees and place your hands on the seat.

The corners of kitchen counters also work well for dipping. Also check out some tutorials for home-made rings. They're not preferable but good enough as an interim.

One of the best GB programs is the Killroy70 program. It works 4 static positions and then does a 3x5 of a push and pull movement though 1 day is combined push/pull (MU) and the other 3 are 1 days of vertical, inverted, and horizontal pushing and pulling.

You GTG on all of those but you will have to scale back the intensity.

For instance if 1 MU is your max because of strength, it would be best to scale it back to some degree.

MWF does leave one pretty rested with the 1 day of rest in between. It all depends on how much you're doing and where you're at.

After you an accomplish so many reps or how long of a hold, you scale up the intensity of the progression.

I'm currently switching to the Killroy70 program for awhile. What I planned to do just takes too much out of me. While I can do it in one workout just fine, it crushes my ability to recover for the next day. So it's too much, eventually though I will need to go back to doing that volume one day...but not for now.