Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Static strength, confusion on when to progress?

SorenPA

Hello

I am currently working on the basic strength moves, Planche, FL. I am stagnated at both skills, and believe the reason is i rush through the progressions. I am a bit confused about the number and length of sets, aswell as when to progress. I am under the impression that each wourkout should be split into sets that combined gives 60 seconds of work. Thus we are talking about 1x60sec, 2x30sec, 4x15sec, 5x12sec, 6x10sec.

Now my confusion is when to progress. I have currently tried to progress once i could hold a progression step for 15 seconds. I have however found that this first of all does not work, and second that I think I have misunderstood the book (primary language is danish).

Lets take my current state at the planche as an example. I can hold a frog stand for 60 seconds in 1 rep (I can hold it longer havent tested max). I can hold a tuck planche for 15 seconds (max). The advanced tuck I can hold for 3 seconds max. From my new understanding, my workout should be on the tuck planche in sets 50% of my max, which should be 7-8 seconds. This gives 8 sets of 7 seconds (63 seconds of work). I should working on the tuck planche until i can hold it solidly for 40-60 seconds in one set. If i can hold the next progression (advanced tuck planche) for 15seconds, I should start working on this next progression.

Is that correctly understood ?

Thanks in advance :)

Neal Winkler

I wouldn't move on until you get at least a 20 second max hold, which translates into about a 6 second max for the next progression and allows for 3 second sets. Safest bet is to use the slizzarian method of 3x30 quality seconds (I believe, but that could be a little wrong). The 30 seconds is a near max hold but not 100% max.

Lets take my current state at the planche as an example. I can hold a frog stand for 60 seconds in 1 rep (I can hold it longer havent tested max). I can hold a tuck planche for 15 seconds (max). The advanced tuck I can hold for 3 seconds max. From my new understanding, my workout should be on the tuck planche in sets 50% of my max, which should be 7-8 seconds. This gives 8 sets of 7 seconds (63 seconds of work). I should working on the tuck planche until i can hold it solidly for 40-60 seconds in one set. If i can hold the next progression (advanced tuck planche) for 15seconds, I should start working on this next progression.

What you said is fine.

Crimsoncross

The Coach said in the article of the FL and the PL that, once you can hold each progression for 60 seconds, you're good to go. He didn't say anything about sets and sets, he said once you can hold it for 60s in one hold, one set.

Soren, during SSC you may move on provided you can do the current progression for 15-20s solid and the next progression for about 5s. If you cannot perform the next progression for 5-6s, you are not ready to move on.

Anything shorter than a 3s work set is probably not worth the time. 2sx30 sets?! That's gonna take awhile.

Samuel Carr

Ive been working tuck planche at 3x20 and with 45 sec. rests it takes about 15 minutes which can get pretty tiresome. Only a couple more weeks left in my SSC left until i test my new max hold :)

Crimsoncross
Ive been working tuck planche at 3x20 and with 45 sec. rests it takes about 15 minutes which can get pretty tiresome. Only a couple more weeks left in my SSC left until i test my new max hold :)
15m is not bad, 30m would be rough.

15 minutes? Pfft. I just did one of my workouts right now and I timed it just to see how long it would take.

I did 9x5 elevated xr rows (feet a little higher than rings with almost chin-up grip, 10 reps on the first set) and 5x5 HeSPU (first 3 sets did 5 reps, last 2 only 4 :x ). I took like 2 minutes rest between exercises on the first 2 sets, but on the last 3 I took almost 3 minutes. The total time of the workout was 30 minutes.

I thought it would take me less. The problem was that I just needed too much time to recover to be doing max reps on each set.

I don't know if this kind of training is good or not. Feels weird because I don't do structured sets like I used to. Before I would do x exercise, rest 30 seconds, do x exercise and that would be "one set", and then I would take maybe a bit more rest in between sets. But what I'm doing right now doesn't have any "sets", I just do 1push and 1 pull exercise and rest in between them as needed.

By concern with 15-30m for using 45/90s for SSC FSP is because that is not the only part of my workout. Tack on FBE's, lower bodywork, some skill work beforehand, warmup time, stretching time and prehab/rehab besides assistance exercises.

Thus, I am concerned with the total duration of my workout as well with what I use for my gymnasts conditioning.

Samuel Carr

The total duration of my workouts including warm-ups, stretching, skill work, and conditioning then more stretching is about 2- 2.5 hours

If I somewhere in my post wrote 2sx30 I meant 2 x 30 seconds. So 2 repetitions and 30 seconds each rep :) Sorry if I caused some confusion.

I am striving to work in SSC, but I really have a hard time working at 50% of my max, and not going all out. Its a good practice for dicipline though :P

Soren