Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training Periodisation

Shani

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for a great site!

I have a background in standard 'strength training' and in recent months have moved almost exclusively to bodyweight exercises - not least when Coach Sommer pointed out that JJ Gregory pulled a nearly triple bodyweight deadlift on his first day of high school weightlifting. It is obvious to me that any power lifter who can dead lift three times his own bodyweight is unlikely to be able to excel to a comparable level in gymnastics 'straight out of the box'. Now that is what I call adaptability!

The standard model goes something like this:-

Phase 1 - Anatomical Adaption

Phase 2 - GPP/Hypertrophy Phase

Length Of Phase 4-6 Weeks

Sets 4-5

Reps 10-20

Load (%1RM) 50-65%

Rest Interval (between sets) 1-2 Minutes

Phase 3 - Strength Phase (<20 second isometric holds)

Length Of Phase 4-6 Weeks

Sets 4-5

Reps 4-6

Load (%1RM) 75-85%

Rest Interval (between sets) 3-4 Minutes

Phase 4 - Power Phase (20-40 second isometric holds)

Length Of Phase 3-4 Weeks

Sets 3

Reps 3

Load (%1RM) 85-95%

Rest Interval (between sets) 4-5 Minutes

Phase 5 - Peaking Phase

Length Of Phase 2-3 Weeks

Sets 2-3

Reps 1-3

Load (%1RM) 95-100%

Rest Interval (between sets) 5-7 Minutes

Phase 6 - Active Rest/Transition

Length Of Phase 1Week

My question is this: Does this kind of model hold true in gymnastics as well? If so, how do gymnasts integrate the demands of plyometric and isometric training?

My frog planche is sub 20s (strength phase) and if I am scheduled to move in to a power phase, should I eschew all frog planching until my next 'strength phase', or should I try to find a supplementart power exercise that will help my planche?

I know Coach Sommer advises that isometrics can be performed up to four times a week, and at the end of a session, but if working plyometrics then I certainly need a bit more of a rest and would not think of finishing a session with isometrics!

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Finishing a day with isometrics or negatives is asking for the pain. However, you can do this somewhat with in shape athletes. Here and there yes, but 4x a week...no way.

I still advise doing the isometrics earlier on. Currently I'm trying to do isometrics one day, isokinetics one day, and then maybe plyometric and metcon on the third or after a day break ( balls out per time interval )

Most training periodization in the states also has to contend with competition schedules. Some boys or girls will do power tumbling or trampoline in addition to artistic competition. Some will also do competitions in what would normally be the off season or something like Future Stars or TOPS.

It doesn't seem there are a lot of parents or kids in the US who will train only elite style from a young age and bypass all of this competition that does really eat a lot of training time. Even if you could get a kid to forego that could you get a parent on board with that? What about athletes that do multiple sports or activities besides religious stuff ( CCD or whatever the other religions have )

Your system of training below is nearly half of a year. In general there is an off season, a pre season, a competition season.

As for isometrics and plyometrics.

Competency in isometrics, then isokinetics, then plyometrics. Isokinetics and plyometrics has a thing vague line to it. While there can be phases to it due to teaching the athletes such movements, I am of the opinion that during the course of a 6 week phase they may not reach enough competency or strength to move on to the next phase so tough it. This all depends on the gymnast. What if Johnny is ready and Jimmy isn't?

Hey Blairbob, thanks for the feedback.

So, if I understand rightly, in gymnastics they don't necessarily cycle through long phases of hypertrophy, strength and power, as do power lifters etc....

From what you have put, it looks like, from the multi-disciplinary nature of gymnastics, that you should mix these phases up a lot more - within the same week, and strive to nail a technique associated with a move, which develops the neceessary strength/power, then build in to volume for power endurance?

Does this sound about right?

Should, would, and could all me didn't as my dad likes to say. In this case, I mean that it might happen but it all depends. This depends on what coaches do what and what their programs are like.

It sounds about dead on, but really this is a sport mostly dealing with kids. It can be a different once they hit high school or junior high school age and of the appropriate age and level that their programs are hopefully implenting this, but who knows.

Not all gyms out there run an elite mindset.