Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yoga - Pros and Cons

Miguel Perez

Miguel Perez

Hi guys,

How many of you still practice yoga alongside GST? I started this program after researching Strength and Conditioning programs to get over my back issues and get back to training jiu-jitsu. I have gained a lot from its strength and stretch programs. Recently, I went to a yoga class with some friends and aggravated my upper back and neck. I have been dealing with some neck issues for a few months, and I think that a particular position caused a lot of upper back flexion and I pushed it too hard. It made me think back and realize how similar things have happened in the past, and how the advantages of these stretch programs is that you learn your own limitations (due to its structure) and can research each position to make sure you are doing them properly. On top of that, the strength work then gives you the adequate conditioning to go even further and gradually attain results. This seems completely counter with a typical yoga class where you never know the competency of the teacher, and they may not see you doing something incorrectly and then you run the risk of short or long-term injury. 

This all being said, I think I am going to steer clear of yoga for, ironically, health reasons (maybe the meditative courses would be an exception). What do you all think? And also, has anyone had similar or completely different experiences? 

Thanks, and I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

Miguel

Pauline Taube

Hi Miguel,

thanks for reaching out and great question!

many athletes use GST in order to increase performance and reduce risk of injuries. It’s also a great complement for yoga. In my experience the quality of yoga teachers vary a lot. Some of them are even giving you wrong and dangerous advices for some of the poses. Yoga itself is an ancient practice but had become very commercialized. 

If you continue to advance in GST, you will build a solid foundation and improve your body awareness. This is very helpful as you will get more confident and able to correct your own positions when doing yoga :) 

• Like 1