Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Distal bicep strain

Amebix138

For reasons unknown, im beginning to get distal bicep strain while performing front levers. Its kind of like a tight ripping feeling as I come down into a hang thats very disconcerting given what I know about bicep tendon ruptures. I dont know if I would still feel it if I bent my elbows at that point. I've added inverted curls to my program and I'm trying to get stronger at pull ups in hopes of fixing it, but it would probably be easier to come up with a solution if I knew what the problem was. Anyone have any ideas? I think it started when I tried training the back lever. They caused terrible strain there. After that when I would be reading a book, keeping my arm at 90 degrees when I extended I'd get a ripping feeling in the bicep tendon. That has since gone away but now I'm beginning to feel it in other exercises. It seems to get worse through message. I do believe the forearm muscles around there are tight. The problem doesn't seem to appreciate stretching though either as that tends to aggravate it.

This is where I feel the pain: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Hugmo138/Picture0003-1.jpg

And this is the area I think is tight and contributing to the problem: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v315/Hugmo138/Picture0004-1.jpg

Thanks a bunch.

Loosen up the OTHER muscles in the area, and loose up the biceps itself.

Don't have to massage the tendon itself or insertion.

REST.

Braindx, do you think it would be okay to do some light reverse bicep curls (15#x1x50) just to stimulate blood flow to the area or would complete rest be better?

Joshua Naterman

Personally, I had similar issues when I was getting ready for buds, and very light curls helped me a lot. Your suggested rep range is a bit too high, 10 is fine. When you can do two sets of 10 reps with 5 lbs and have absolutely no pain or discomfort or any other type of abnormal feeling, I'd go up to 7 or 8 lbs. Then 10, 12, 15, 20, etc. Take your time with that, it's not a race.

As for stretching, I'd probably wait a week or so and then stretch lightly with prolonged isometric holds. At the point tension begins, just hold for 30s-1min or however long it takes for the tension to disappear completely. Then relax for a few seconds, shake it out gently, and do it again. If there's no pain, try going a little further when the tension disappears. When you release and feel a little pain that means you're going too far for recovery purposes, and shouldn't stretch quite so far.

Be careful with the stretching, and don't do it as a part of your workouts. Do it at a separate time so that you're not trying to stretch pumped muscles.

Braindx, do you think it would be okay to do some light reverse bicep curls (15#x1x50) just to stimulate blood flow to the area or would complete rest be better?

If there is no pain, sure.

If there is then I'd drop them for now.

Negatives, in general, as good for rehab but not if they hurt too bad. You'll have to wait until the tissues heal more before you do them.