Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Straddle Press Handstand & Endo Roll Handstand

Ian Thomas 291884

Ian Thomas 291884

Background/Context:

I have two gymnasts who have been having difficulty progressing in regards to the Straddle L-sit Press on Parallel Bars and the Endo Roll Press on Floor. They are very talented gymnasts, but without being able to conquer these skills they are capping out score wise and I know these deficits will haunt them later on in their careers if I ignore them.

They are both able to press with straight arms and legs from a Straddle L-sit on Parallel Bars, but the Straddle L-sits are poorly held and would result in a double -.3 deduction from pressing from a poorly held position. I have gone to great lengths to work on their active and passive pancake flexibility, passive and active hamstring flexibility, and scowered mannaweb.net, drillsandskills.com, and literature for drills/advice on how to address this issue, but they still seem to hold the Straddle L-sit with feet below the bars. I recently read an article regarding the importance of core stabilization in active hamstring flexibility, which I want to try and implement, but if this fails I think I'd have nothing else left to try. (http://shiftmovementscience.com/how-a-gymnasts-tight-hamstrings-can-really-being-a-core-control-problem/)

General Information:

They can both can press with straight arms from Straddle L-sit, but Straddle-L is poorly held (feet below Pbars)

They both have a decent passive straddle, about 135 degrees, probably about 100-110 degrees actively.

They both have a decent active pancake, can lower down by themselves to just inches off the floor, but can't flatten their back yet (Assuming related to tight adductors/gracilis or adhesions between gracilis & semimembraneous as mentioned by Kit Laughlin)

I have done seated straddle leg lifts for a while, but am thinking there may be an issues with core engagement for posterior pelvic tilt (PPT) to hold the legs up during the straddle L.

Questions/Comments:

1) Is this simply a matter of staying the course and continuing to work active/passive flexilibility and holding straddle L on piroulettes?

2) Are there more effective drills/conditioning regimes beside seated straddle leg lifts, supine straight leg stretch, doing pancakes, pancake arch ups, and holding straddle Ls?

3) Are there some muscle groups I am ignoring strength/flexibility wise or could there be a programming issue?

I would be appreciative of any and all advice on the matter! I willing to go to whatever lengths to see this goal accomplished, so no advice goes unappreciated!

Ian Thomas 291884

No,  they can't hold a straddle L for 30s with good form, even on piroulettes, which is what I am trying to figure out. My definition of good form would be straight arms, straight legs, posterior pelvic tilt (abdominal contraction), feet and knees level or above elbows, and head neutral (the bolded parts being what they are missing). I can't seem to teach them to get their legs level, and not entirely sure if its an active flexibility issue (hip flexor strength/hamstring tightness), a core stability issue (lack of PPT), or if I should just have them hold straddle L as best of form as they can for time to build endurance. I intend to follow the programming in handstands 2, and maybe mix in some other exercises/stretches to approach the issue from all angles, but if you have specific recommendations I'd really appreciate it, and I'll keep you updated with their progress.

Alessandro Mainente

Is always a combination of both lack of passive range of motion and for this reason and active flexibility.

The strongest girl that I'm coaching is able to perform a pancake on the edge of a pit (where mats for a 90°) and she is able to move past the horizontal position of about 45°.

Without a solid, consistent 30s straddle L their press handstands will continue to be inconsistent and unacceptable.  This will not go away.  Nor will it fix itself.

There is however a simple, straight forward solution.  Note that while I said simple and straight forward, I did not say easy.  Merely require 30s straddle Ls as a part of every day’s warmup; no exception, no days off.  If they miss 30s, allow them a few breaths and then get right back up into the straddle L again.  Repeat this over and over for approx 5 minutes.  In a month or so they will have a rock solid straddle L.

My own athletes spent 8-10 min a day on this type of training in their warmup and progressed daily thru the following series; L sit, Straddle L, middle split hold, manna (10s), straddle planche (10s) and handstand (30s).  If individually they missed an assigned time on a particular element, they took a few breaths and then repeated.  If they continued to fail to achieve the passing time, they continued to work that skill only for the day’s training block in warmup.  Want to work straddle L?  Pass Lsit first.  Want to work manna?  Pass middle split hold first.  Etc etc.

Nor was I warm and fuzzy with laziness and pretend intensity.  I expected best effort at all times.  I required my athletes to be sharp, focused and committed, by being sharp, focused and committed myself and refusing to accept anything less.  

My own athletes have heard variations of the following a million times, “... If you want to be a champion, earn it.  You know what needs to get done, so let’s get it done.  If you want to pretend to train, the gym that placed last at last year’s State Championships is just around the corner and I hear that they have some openings on team...”  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Like 13

Ian Thomas 291884

Thank you Alessandro and Coach Sommer. This is very helpful. I will incorporate this into my daily warm ups and keep you updated.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Ian Thomas 291884

Thank you so much Coach Sommer and Alessandro! I apologize for not updating sooner, but its been a busy month . I saw drastic improvements in the boys Straddle L and they were both able to achieve Straddle Press Handstand on Parallel Bars and Endo Roll Press Handstand with feet clear of the floor, which they competed over the weekend. One of the two boys went on the become All-Around State Champion, and the other Runner Up All-Around State Champion. Again, I cannot convey my gratitude for your priceless time and knowledge, and I will continue to incorporate your suggestions into our daily regimen, being a faithful follower of the GymnasticsBodies program to continue to expand my coaching repertoire. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Swann BUTEL

Hi Coach Sommer,

I have test your warm up for my ring straddle planche, it's brutal and work very well. I just want to have some precision please.

I'm not sure to understood correctly... For a straddle planche for exemple if the goal is 10 sec do i have to try to hold set of 10 sec straddle planche for 5 10 min without resting or i hold straddle planche until i hold the position for 10 sec in all, in 5 10 min ?

Thx for your knowledge

On 2018-02-26 at 5:25 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Without a solid, consistent 30s straddle L their press handstands will continue to be inconsistent and unacceptable.  This will not go away.  Nor will it fix itself.

There is however a simple, straight forward solution.  Note that while I said simple and straight forward, I did not say easy.  Merely require 30s straddle Ls as a part of every day’s warmup; no exception, no days off.  If they miss 30s, allow them a few breaths and then get right back up into the straddle L again.  Repeat this over and over for approx 5 minutes.  In a month or so they will have a rock solid straddle L.

My own athletes spent 8-10 min a day on this type of training in their warmup and progressed daily thru the following series; L sit, Straddle L, middle split hold, manna (10s), straddle planche (10s) and handstand (30s).  If individually they missed an assigned time on a particular element, they took a few breaths and then repeated.  If they continued to fail to achieve the passing time, they continued to work that skill only for the day’s training block in warmup.  Want to work straddle L?  Pass Lsit first.  Want to work manna?  Pass middle split hold first.  Etc etc.

Nor was I warm and fuzzy with laziness and pretend intensity.  I expected best effort at all times.  I required my athletes to be sharp, focused and committed, by being sharp, focused and committed myself and refusing to accept anything less.  

My own athletes have heard variations of the following a million times, “... If you want to be a champion, earn it.  You know what needs to get done, so let’s get it done.  If you want to pretend to train, the gym that placed last at last year’s State Championships is just around the corner and I hear that they have some openings on team...”  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Love it when you write these post Coach!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1