Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Question on pumped muscle effect

Alvaro Antolinez

Alvaro Antolinez

When you train there is an increase in the muscle volume( pumped efect?), this last ( as long as I find with my trainings) for three or four days, after that you loose a lot of volume. Why is that?

irongymnast

1. Well from personal experience, I've observed that when I do a good warmup, it doesn't last for that long whereas when I do little or no warmup it lasts for longer.

I always try to do good warmups though.

2. Well if I train like 4 times a week, my muscles (let's say bicep/tricep because they're easily measurable) don't get hard immediately. That week they're like soft. If I stop training for 2 weeks (pause), that's when I think they are harder than ever.

Why is that?

Probably myofibril density... some supercompensation effect.

Blood "pump" is generally only within about 5-10 minutes after exercises. It's not really beneficial for anything so shrug.

Alvaro Antolinez

Yes after training you are more pumped for a short time. But what I referer is that you keep part of that tone for some days and then ( at least in my experience) I loose it almost completly till I train again. I notice this because due to my job sometimes I have to stop training for 3-4 days in a row( something that most of you usually don't have to suffer !).

I suppose blood must be the answer as you said, I just wandered iF there was some type of inflamation or something during the muscle healing and adaptation.

Alvaro Antolinez

Braindx I read again your post and googled myofibrin but I havent found yet how the muscle grows. But I did find an interesting article on the muscle contraction and the energy flow at the cells

http://www.nismat.org/physcor/muscle.html

Is worth a reading. I'll keep searching something on muscle growth.

Blood "pump" is generally only within about 5-10 minutes after exercises. It's not really beneficial for anything so shrug.

I thought the pump delivered more nutrients along with the extra fluids is that not correct?

I thought the pump delivered more nutrients along with the extra fluids is that not correct?

Exercise delivers extra blood flow... and stimulates protein synthesis for 48-72 hours afterwards.

YOu don't need an extra pump to do that.. pumps are metabolic. Metabolic (oxygen deprivation rather) is one path of hypertrophy but not the only path (and generally not the path we are seeking with lower reps).

Muscle synthesis is a pretty complicated topic.. btw to the guy above.

Joshua Naterman

Exercise science is still not completely sure what all the factors in muscle growth are. As brain says, it's pretty complicated. To a serious athlete, the pump doesn't matter unless they are a bodybuilder. For a bodybuilder, the pump effect is important because it makes them bigger right before they go on stage. That's literally it. That's why there are "pump rooms" at every show. The guys get pumped up and take supplements to stay that way for hours so they look even bigger for the judges.

Alvaro Antolinez

Yes I've seen them pumping before a photo sesion. Is a bit weird but is the sport philosophy after all! But I ment that 48-72 hours Braindx said. Is there any study you know that uses that healing time for programing rest times? Or Is more complicated than that. Really is a complex topic but interesting to get some knowledge from all you! :D

Joshua Naterman

It's 100% dependant on how intense your workout was, and how much volume there was, along with whether or not you were fully healed when you actually went into the gym! There's really no way to measure all of these things scientifically at the same time, too many variables that can't be controlled ethically.

What brain is talking about is probably a localized inflammation, which accelerates the healing process. Muscle "tone" is different, that's basically the degree of involuntary flexion held by the body at rest in each muscle. It's a neurological effect.

It's 100% dependant on how intense your workout was, and how much volume there was, along with whether or not you were fully healed when you actually went into the gym! There's really no way to measure all of these things scientifically at the same time, too many variables that can't be controlled ethically.

What brain is talking about is probably a localized inflammation, which accelerates the healing process. Muscle "tone" is different, that's basically the degree of involuntary flexion held by the body at rest in each muscle. It's a neurological effect.

+1

You can train on muscles that are still healing. I mean people's training volumes for football, oly, etc. are multiple times a day for 5-6 days a week.

It's all about managing recovery such that you can keep getting adaptations. There's no point to making things like isolation routines for BBing based on full c omplete healing of the muscles unless you need something like that as an elite athlete or competitive bodybuilder with high volume and steroids...