Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

warm ups and post workout stretches

Guest TYG

I have a good bit of flexibility from a history of martial arts and a good fitness background (weight training and functional training like at gymjones.com)

The gymnastics strength moves however are somewhat new although I can do some things like ring muscle ups.

My main concerns now are things like levers, planche, and hspu. Started training a few days ago.

Doing 6 sets of 10 seconds of FL (flat tuck)...feels good. Frog stand (feeling easy)...BL rounded back and not down low enough yet...these seem to be the hardest of everything so far...really hammers the bi's and forearms.

Also doing misc. strength FBE.

Anyway, the real point of this post.

What are you doing for a pre workout warm up and a post workout stretch.

These are things I do with my other workous but then again that was for a different kind of training so I figure I will have to make some altercations.

Really shocked this was not included in the book as this is just as important as the exercises themselves.

Any thoughts or previous posts I can reference?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure that coach Sommer has a lot for us in store in the upcoming books - I don't think BtGB was meant to be an all-inclusive volume. Meanwhile, the expert posters on the forum should be able to fill you in :)

I'm pretty sure that coach Sommer has a lot for us in store in the upcoming books - I don't think BtGB was meant to be an all-inclusive volume. Meanwhile, the expert posters on the forum should be able to fill you in :)

Yeah, I am sure I can get plenty of help here from the veterans. But honestly I don't think I should have to...this is essential to training and should have been included...if this forum was not here to ask would I have to wait for a future book before I can start using the one I already paid for :roll:

Fortunately I have a good fitness background and an above average stretching/flexibility history (compared to regular people, not gymnasts) but with this unique training I am assuming there are probably some essentials that could greatly benefit my training.

Anyway, hopefully someone will be kind enough to help me.

Neal Winkler

Would you of rather waited 2 more years before you could do anything at all? There is already enough information on prehab that is suitable for this basic level of development.

Nick Van Bockxmeer

warm up: 5 - 20 minutes

elevate the heart rate and body temperature: you can elevate the heart rate just by running or cycling however its not the best way as you are only hitting one movement pattern. It is preferential to do a variety of exercises that will have you using your whole body (ie burpees etc).

dynamic flexibility: focusing on three main joints - hip, shoulder and spine. After this you should have reached the near limit of your active ROM.

prehab/rehab: specific exercises to prevent injury or restore joint function. for example wrist and shoulder series.

specific warm up: warming up for the main course. Typically easier variations of what you are going to do, in small volumes.

the purpose of the warm up is to stimulate, not fatigue. If something fatigues you, you may have to adjust it. Also if you are doing a shoulder series with resistance bands, it is not a good idea to heavily fatigue your shoulder stabilisers prior to work out. You can do this at the end if you want

work out 20 - 60 minutes

FBEs, FSPs, skill training, sports specific training

post-work out 5 - 20 minutes

prehab/rehab: as above except if you wanted to do it afterwards

static active flexibility: If you want to include it do it after the bulk of your strength work

isometric stretches: If you want to include it do it after the bulk of your strength work

relaxed stretches: do this at the end when your muscles are the most fatigued.

in the cool down you have flexibility exercises that are better used when the muscles are fatigued, will adversly affect performance if you do them before your work out or both. If you don't know what the first two are don't worry about them. Relaxed stretching should be the last thing you do.

as for the times I put that is just a rough guideline. You shouldn't be trying to achieve a certain time. The amount of time it takes reflects the components that you have chosen for your specific work out and for your specific person.

• 4 weeks later...
Coach Sommer
Yeah, I am sure I can get plenty of help here from the veterans. But honestly I don't think I should have to...this is essential to training and should have been included...if this forum was not here to ask would I have to wait for a future book before I can start using the one I already paid for

BtGB is solely designed to cover basic strength training as has been covered extensively here in the forum. In addition, the complete table of contents is also available for review in the BtGB product description of the online store.

The Joint Preparation and Active Flexibility work that I perform with my athletes is far too involved to be included as a mere chapter in another book and requires its own volume.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

If you've got experience in Martial Arts and the like then you shouldn't need to wait for coach's next books, use your current warm up, joint rotation drills, to warm the whole body up and then you should be able to start using BTGB straight away, just follow the exercise progressions in the book carefully and don't jump ahead to an exercise you're not ready for and things should be fine.

I have no previous gymnastic experience but am using the book and getting benefits from it, i go through a thorough series of joint rotation/mobility exercises before heavier training commences and you should be able to follow suit, just exercise caution and be honest with yourself before commencing a particular exercise, ask yourself "Am i ready for this exercise"? if not return to the previous level and consolidate before trying to move on.