Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

pike press

irongymnast

irongymnast

I'm very frustrated and disappointed with myself because I'm training for several years and I still can't manage to do a pike press, which is considered a basic skill.

Ideally, I want to do this but on the floor:

(THE GUY IN THE FOLLOWING VIDEO IS NOT ME, I have put it up as an example of what I want to accomplish)

Uv-pbtJvNZ8

L-sit to pike press.

I lack the flexibility (my feet just touch the floor when I try to push my body back from the L-sit) needed.

I also lack the strength needed. I've tried on the pbars where I don't have the space limit, but it's impossible for me to lift myself past a certain point (somewhat lower of an advanced tuck planche with straight legs).

I can do L-sit to pike press when my arms are not straight (meaning I do an HS pushup). But that's another story.

Anyone experiencing similar difficulties? There are some female gymnasts (12 years old) at my gym that can do multiple of these easily.. :(

How should I progress? I haven't really seen any improvement on this drill.

One thing that helped me was negatives. I tried and tried for a while but couldn't do it (This is on pbars), but then I tried negatives for a while and was able to do it.

What I'm wondering though is if it is possible for someone to be physically unable to do this on floor. I can do full pike stretch standing, but as hard as I try I cannot get my legs from one side of my hands to the other. I think my arms are too short.

irongymnast

By negatives you mean, while in a handstand position on the pbars to lower down slowly until you reach the L-sit position?

By negatives you mean, while in a handstand position on the pbars to lower down slowly until you reach the L-sit position?

Yeah, as slow as you can, focusing on the point where you go from vertical to horizontal

Work on your pike compression.

My first thought would be to work manna and V-sit.

Next is to work on really compressing your pike. Forced inverted pike/basket stretches. We put out feet on as low of the stall bars as we can and really compress our pike. This sucks, it can just about constrict our breathing and crush our hamstrings sometimes.

Also worked seated pike leg lifts, with your chin touching your shin. Start your hands by your knees and lean over and try to bring your shin to your chin and eventually move your hands closer to your ankles in time.

You have a good V-sit. Somewhat bent knees. You lose pike compression in the pike press which is why you would get stuck on floor.

irongymnast

Sorry Blairbob and anyone else for the confusion, but that guy in the video is not me! I've added a reference in the original post now to avoid confusion.

I just added the video to give an example of what I'm trying to accomplish. I would be happy if I had his V-sit. I'm not even close.