Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maintaining flexibility...

George Launchbury

George Launchbury

Hi All,

I wonder if someone might be able to help out with some more insight into flexibility training? I was wondering about the kind of work involved in maintaining flexibility, either when you've reached your goals, or simply between periods of more intense stretching?

Would it be enough to use shorter sessions of static stretching to maintain flexibility? The amount of time/effort/focus required to maintain flexibility is a major factor for me in terms of committing to it long-term. Ideally, some sort of ratchet system would come into play - where I could make good gains during periods where I have more time available (injury, recovery cycles, etc) and simply maintain that new level of flexibility in the interim.

What is the general concensus on this?

Thanks,

George.

Edward Smith

Hey George,

Just like strength, flexibility varies from person to person some people may be more naturally flexible, some people get noticeably flexier within the session, some may notice results within a couple of days. Two things I will suggest is working all types of stretches and flexibility, and the second is strengthening your muscles in the ROM/way they are stretched, for example for front splits lunges are a good stretch and exercise. With maintaining flexibility it's pretty similar to maintaining strength. Shorter sessions would be fine as long as you get the muscle to the same stretch in a shorter time (without hurting yourself :wink: ), some stretches especially some gymnastic stretches are easy to mark your progress. Take the pike for example always try and get your nose to your toes (this is the goal, does not have to be achieved straight away) take note of how far away you are then every session try and get slightly closer.

In conclusion yes stretching can be Maintained with less stretching than it takes to get it but in the form of shorter sessions not less sessions. The important thing is too be consistent (more or less everyday) and reach the stretch your capable of.

Hope this is an answer to the question you were asking,

Ed

George Launchbury

Hi Ed,

Yes, thanks.

To be a little clearer I was thinking along the lines of spending a few weeks at a time really focussing on increasing flexibility, and between these periods stretching for a short while at the end of every workout ...in fact probably a couple of short sessions on most days (e.g. as a break from sitting at my desk, or after long drives). Consistently finding the time/interest to keep up the longer/harder sessions indefinitely is one of the things that has put me off in the past.

I have already seen some gains after 3-4 sessions, doing 25-30 minutes PNF/loaded stretching with a couple of days off for PWO soreness (just doing: hip flexors, pike, straddle for now). I wouldn't be surprised if after getting some good gains I feel a lot more motivated about stretching ...especially as it's starting to become a limiting factor in my gymnastic progress. I will then be doing more exercises that require the use of the increased ROM as well.

I appreciate your continued help on the subject. :)

Cheers,

George.

Edward Smith

My pleasure George,

With the multiple stretching sessions per day that sounds fine to me. In fact it may be even better than one big session per day (just a thought no evidence to support it), think of greasing the groove how you perform lots of sets through the day well it could translate into stretching perhaps?