Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Anoying shoulder pain after training

Leandro

Hello!

I'm training gymnastic 3x per week for 6 months, and doing some strength work at home (tuck planche, tuck FL, BL, etc), but, sometimes after the gym training, at night I start having a pain inside the shoulder when I raise my arm. There's no pain if it remains quiet, and strangely, there's no pain when doing strength work, HPSU, tuck planche, etc. Only when I raise the arm.

I couldn't identify what may be the cause. I first thought it was because ring training (I do basic skills, swings, inlocate, front and back uprises, press to HS with bent arm). But there was a day that we trained rings and I had no pain after. I'm suspicious it can be because hanging leg raises!?!?...because when I hang myself it's kinda unconfort in the shoulders.

Any advice? Should I go to a doctor, or just slow down the training when I have these pains? It's always in the right shoulder and It usually disapears within 2 days.....

I read stuff about it and it seemed scary! I will probably go see a doctor if it happens again. Today, we trained floor and PB and guess what, no pain at all now. I even did advanced tuck back lever work, and some HSPU....

Friday is ring day, so I will watch myself!

Joshua Naterman

Be careful and focus on shoulder stretching and prehab, especially scapular stability work and external rotation! The fact that you have no pain may not be a good thing. Sometimes things stop hurting when they get past a certain stage, and then when they get REALLY bad the pain comes FAST. Be careful with that shoulder and treat it good! I hope it's better, but I think it's a much better idea to treat it as if it's messed up and rehab/prehab it properly!

Definitely good advice. I've had shoulder impingement for 2 years now and I'm only just starting to see some reasonable improvement. From my experience, static holds and heat therapy are the gold standard for recovery.

Joshua Naterman

You really have to work at it to get better. Coach thinks I have some rotator damage in my right shoulder based on what I wrote him, and I have to agree. It sucks, but I have to be careful not to overdo things. That's what I get for not stretching and working out cold. This new house is extremely cold downstairs, and I don't have an extra heater, plus there's no insulation. Yea, pretty crappy for winter workouts! I'll be dong band work, really light pulling work, and being careful not to train too much upper body, just maintain what I have and focus on my lower body. This even gets in the way of my core development since it interferes with my ability to do body levers and the HLL variations. Curses.

The key is to stay on top of it and make sure you use every method available to you to help fix things. Fortunately I have a few massage appointments built up, so I'm going to set some appointments with the therapist who specializes in PT, use heating pads whenever I can, stretch, and take it easy with the pulling until May at least! Be smart and be a little conservative when getting back to work!