Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jefferson Curl @ +90% bodyweight - # of reps and sets / technique

Jeffrey Ruck

I first learned about the Jefferson curl about 5 months ago and it sounded like a new challenge.  I started with a small KB to practice the form.  I took the advice to add weight slowly as to allow the connective tissue to develop and strengthen instead of trying to add more weight too fast.  After doing this exercise on and off for 5 months I have some observations and questions, and I'm hoping someone can guide me.  From a raised platform, feet together I do sets of 3, and typically 5 sets per workout with increasing weight per set.  I use a barbell so the movement is not compromised as I drop down past my toes or to induce any swing (kettlebells get in the way).

I'm about 156lbs.  I keep my feet together, toes right to the edge of the platform using with a barbell to ensure there is no compromise on movement when I drop down just past my toes, hold and then return to the starting position.  Here are my notes from my journal from this week:

1.  3 x 120lbs w/ 5-7 secs hold at the bottom (75 secs total time holding barbell for set)  @ +77% bodyweight

2. 3 x 125lbs w/5-7 secs hold at the bottom  (75 secs total time holding barbell for set )  @ +80% bodyweight

3.  3 x 130lbs w/5-7 secs hold at the bottom  (78 secs total time holding barbell for set ) @ +83% bodyweight

4.  3 x 135lbs w/3-4 secs hold at the bottom (61 secs total time holding barbell for set)  @ +87%  bodyweight

5.  3 x 140lbs w/3-4 sec hold at the bottom   (65 secs total time holding barbell for set)  @ +90% bodyweight

My observations and questions:

1.  I can get a good hamstring stretch, my wrists go below the raised platform I'm standing on about 3".  I think I want to use tape on the side of the raised box so I can measure the distance and ensure I am getting past a certain point each rep.  Honestly, with the heavier sets, it probably pulls me down as far as I can go!   Do others use a mark or tape to ensure they are consistent with the movement and maximum range of motion and to measure progress?

2.   I have always tried to do the downward and upward motion very slowly and fluid with a 5-7 second hold at the bottom which really works those hamstrings!  Clearly, as the weight increases, I am finding I must speed up the set since the barbell is so heavy my grip strength and forearms tire faster than my hamstrings.  Although I still seem to do 3 reps in 60-65 seconds consistently, although my hold time at the bottom is reduced to 3-4 seconds.  I rest about 1-2 mins between sets to give my hands and forearms a chance to recover.  Basically, this is the time to change the weight and to write down the results.

3.  For the athletes and coaches: do you have any feedback or advice to improve my technique and progressions?  In time I will achieve the magical +100% body weight but there is no rush!  Would you recommend I keep my 3 x 5 sets program and just increase the per set weights as I progress in 5lb increments?  Should I continue to focus on that total barbell hold time per set to be a 65-75 sec window?  As I have progressed in the past 5 months, the 4th and 5th set were always harder so I was always faster in the movement, and do the downward motion using about 70% of the time and 30% of the time for the upward motion per rep.  It seems my limitation is more grip and forearm strength with est. 140lbs for 60+ seconds.   

Edited by Jeffrey Ruck
typo

Everett Carroll

Hey Jeffrey,

These are great questions and sorry for the delay. First off, you have probably progressed too quickly with this exercise as far as weight goes. This exercises programming is in the Foundation One Course and I always recommend to students in that forum that they should train the same weight for 3 months before increasing. Once increased, the weight should still feel casual.

How does the intensity feel for you? The load should always feel extremely easy. If your current load doesn't feel absolutely easy, then you should reduce the weight as much as necessary so that it does. Adaptations with J. Curls are made slowly, steadily, and methodically. Every set and rep should feel more than manageable, even the grip component. 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2

Antonio Alías Montoya

5 months and you are working with 90% bw jc is going way way way too fast. You could hurt yourself. 100% is reached after years of training. Jc is not strenght work, it s weighted mobility.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Everett and Antonio,

Thanks for the feedback and advice.  I'll change my program, and back off on the heavier weights and will focus on the technique, more reps and to measure progress on the stretch.  

• Like 2