Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The right program and approach?

John Landers

John Landers

After years of working in an office and not really training I'm looking to get back into shape and increase mobility/reduce pain.  I have been doing some body building-type routines lately to try to gain muscle and lose fat but it seems whenever I get consistent I get hurt.  I have a herniated L5/S1 disc w/ degeneration that I re-injured in June and through mobility work feels much better but am now dealing with golfers elbow after getting back into the gym so I want to address what seems to be a fundamental issue to me via the GB programs.  

My long term goal is to get to 10-12% body fat and really be healthy and mobile enough to be active with my kids.  I'm currently 5'9 210# and per an InBody scan around 23% body fat.  If I keep hurting myself using other approaches, I know I won't be able to move.  Does the Foundation 1, stretch, and Handstand 1 seem like the right program and should I work in some cardio?  If I did F1/Stretch/HS1 then what does the general weekly schedule look like with all three programs?  I saw M/T/Th/F (or M/W/F) for Fundamentals 1, then would Stretch be Su/W/Sa and where does HS1 fit it?  

I gather this has been answered on the forum but haven't been able to find a clear answer.  Any thoughts and best ways to go about using the program are greatly appreciated.

Pauline Taube

Hi John,

Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the forum!

This combination of courses is definitely a good one. Coach Sommer recommend to train each of the workout once a week to begin with (Foundation One includes one upper body, core and lower body workout). You are completely free to create your own workout schedule where you mix and match your workouts, you may also use Coach Sommer's template, which includes all these courses. I recommend to create a schedule that suit you the best, so you know that you will be able to stick with your workouts every week. The stretch series can be done after your Foundation/handstand workout or on a separate day. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions :)

• Like 1