• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Tietze-Syndrom, Chondroosteopathia costalis

heinrich

COACH SOMMER or anybody,

I started this topic afew weeks ago:

:arrow:viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3489&p=25266#p25266

I decided to see an orthopedist. He did X-Ray and sent me to a radiologist. Now he suspects I have caught

Tietze-Syndrom/Chondroosteopathia costalis.

Since yesterday I'm taking Ibuprofen 400 three times a day orally. He said I should back off from most upper body work for about 6-8 weeks and also see a physiotherapist who knows something about gymnastics. My first thought was to ask the people on this site!

I'm not sure what is ok to do and what should be avoided. And what do you think of heat or ice?

Please, any help or ideas would be great!

Anti-inflams + fish oil, rest, massage (to increase blood flow),

ice if it helps when you have bad inflammation, otherwise heat will tend to work better.

Basically, it's overuse where the costal cartilages pull away a bit from the sternum. Gotta let it heal properly.

You can still do stuff IF it doesn't aggravate your condition. It is unlikely that you will be able to do any pushing work though just for reference.

Anti-inflams + fish oil

Check!

increase blood flow

the doc also suggested light stretching and squeezing the pecs. Tomorrow I'll take a swimm. That should increases blood flow, too.

ice if it helps when you have bad inflammation, otherwise heat will tend to work better

I'll try to both. Since it started to hurt some time ago, I think heat will be better.

Thanks a lot braindx!

Does anybody know if rape-oil has similar effects like fish-oil since it has many unsaturated fatty acids, too?

I already thought about increasing my daily dose of fish-oil but rape-oil is much cheaper.

Does anybody know if rape-oil has similar effects like fish-oil since it has many unsaturated fatty acids, too?

I already thought about increasing my daily dose of fish-oil but rape-oil is much cheaper.

No. You need the omega 3 anti-inflammatory... EPA+DHA...

All vegetable oils are garbage.. high in omega 6s. Very pro-inflammatory.

Stretching may be OK. If you do it too much it can aggravate it which is why I would tend to avoid it for a bit. Squeezing them is similar ot the stretching. It can help in small amounts if you don't do too much.

Squeezing/stretching does stimulate blood flow and small amounts of inflammation you need, but overdo it and you're worse off.

No. You need the omega 3 anti-inflammatory... EPA+DHA...

All vegetable oils are garbage.. high in omega 6s. Very pro-inflammatory.

alright, I'll invest in fish-oil.

Stretching may be OK. If you do it too much it can aggravate it which is why I would tend to avoid it for a bit. Squeezing them is similar ot the stretching. It can help in small amounts if you don't do too much.

Squeezing/stretching does stimulate blood flow and small amounts of inflammation you need, but overdo it and you're worse off.

Thanks for the warning. I'll be careful. How do you know about the Tietze thing. Is it common among gymnasts or did you have it yourself?

Common orthopedic ailment to those beginning training, especially with dipping movements.

Other common name is costochondritis.

Joshua Naterman

I had pain like that years ago, I just backed off for a few weeks and then built up real slow. I stayed at a level on bench press and dips where I just barely felt anything in my chest, not pain but ... something... and stayed there until it felt fine. After that I just progressed as 'normal' and had no problems. Once or twice I'd feel something, and I'd back off for a week a little bit. Hasn't happened in years now. Just take it slow and listen to the Brain, and you'll be ok. I don't know how you feel about motrin, if you like it great. I hated it, it didn't do jack, jill, or even get a pail of water for me.

Thanks again for your replies!

Swimming was ok. During the crawl I didn't feel any pain.

This gives me time to focus on wrists, elbows, core, legs for a few weeks so I'll be fine until the upper body work starts again. Hopefully this will be my last back off ever.

Injuries suck so damn hard :x