Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

One Arm Pull Ups

Oscar Riaño

Oscar Riaño

Hi guys, 

I've left aside iron cross work for a bit more than a month. All this time, I've been putting a lot of work on One Arm Pull Ups (OAPU) and yesterday, when I tried to do some Iron Cross work, i felt a lot more stable in my shoulders as when i was trying it before. I must say that in this month i also lost 2 kg (by eating less quantity, I was kinda eating more than I needed) and feel a lot lighter. In any case... the only thing that I changed in my training is the introduction of OAPU work. May it be very beneficial for Iron Cross?

Kind regards!!

• Upvote 1

Everett Carroll

Hey Oscar,

Intermediate level pulling strength like rope climbs and single arm chins are a crucial prerequisite for ring strength. 

Oscar Riaño
6 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hey Oscar,

Intermediate level pulling strength like rope climbs and single arm chins are a crucial prerequisite for ring strength. 

Good. There is a difference between prerequisite and specific training. Straddle planche and handstand on rings are prerequisites for iron cross as well. Are they a sort of "progression" towards IC? No. More specific answers please!

Everett Carroll

Hi Oscar,

Have you seen this post before? 

The GB curriculum will guide you through all pre-requisites and ensure you do not train anything before you are ready. 

Oscar Riaño
6 minutes ago, Everett Carroll said:

Hi Oscar,

Have you seen this post before? 

The GB curriculum will guide you through all pre-requisites and ensure you do not train anything before you are ready. 

Yes, I have seen it before, but my question is not answered yet. I can't start anything from it because I don't know the content of any of the courses, and no, I am not thinking about purchasing them. At the moment I'm working on the progressions of the book of Building the Gymnastic Body in order to have the most solid basis I could. Nevertheless, my question is if specifically the One Arm Pull Up proficiency may be very beneficial for Iron Cross because I felt quite better after one month of not touching the rings at all and working on IC. Yes, I can do a straddle planche on rings, XR handstand, rope climbings one arm pull ups... etc... I just put much emphasis on OAPU this month.  

Everett Carroll

Hey Oscar,

Your question was answered: OAPUs would not be a cross prerequisite if they were not beneficial for the development of crosses in some way. There is no fluff in Coach Sommer's programming. Everything is strictly functional. 

The Foundation Series has taken the place of BtGB, as it is far more comprehensive. Foundations is how you'll build you best base. The strength progressions and course information are far more detailed that BtGB. In addition, there are mobility drills to support the development of each exercise which will accelerate your development and help keep you injury-free.

By the end of the series, you'll MASTER Front Lever, Straddle Planche, Hollow Back Press, Rope Climb, Side Lever, Manna, and Fundamental Leg Strength. Mastering each of those positions/movements AND their associated mobility drills are prerequisites for ring strength training. 

• Like 3

Frank Santasiero

Everett, in a earlier post you included single arm chins as a prerequisite for ring work. In my opinion single arm chins are much more difficult than rope climb. I have seen plenty of people climb ropes without the use of their legs that can not do a single arm chin up. Is the ability to do a single arm chin really a prerequisite strength requirement for ring work?

• Like 1

Alessandro Mainente

If you perform the rope climbing eccentric with a single arm it is one arm pulling work on the complete range of motion.

the rope climbing gives an impressive amount of benefits due to the nature of the grip and the pattern of the movement which requires a continuous changing of the arms in overhead position.

• Like 2

Oscar Riaño
6 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

If you perform the rope climbing eccentric with a single arm it is one arm pulling work on the complete range of motion.

the rope climbing gives an impressive amount of benefits due to the nature of the grip and the pattern of the movement which requires a continuous changing of the arms in overhead position.

Thank you Alessandro!

I'm always impressed by your knowledge :D 

Would you recommend any good literature about strength-anatomy-mobility... Or any good book related to gymnastics with a bigger emphasis on ring strength? 

Thanks in advance!!

Alessandro Mainente

I do not know too much about it, a lot of my knowledge comes directly from Coach Sommer and many other coaches around the worlds that I met in men training camps.

what you can really do for now it is understanding the anatomy of the body, biomechanics and the strength training periodization.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1