Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, GB community!

Jerry Teixeira

Jerry Teixeira

This is my introductory post.  

My name is Jerry, I am 37 years old and have been physically active my whole life. 

I served in the Mairne Corps for 4 years and was in stellar athletic shape.  Ran about 20 miles a week in addition to a lot of calisthenics and regular weight training.  When I got out in 2001 I stopped running and stretching/ mobility work and focused on lifting for hypertrophy. 

I felt " good" ( although I wasn't trying to do anything requiring mobility) and pretty much just lifted for about 10 years.  

When I was 31 I started to have lower back pain that continued to progress to the point where I was seeing doctors, chiropractors etc. 

about that time I enrolled my 3 year old daughter in gymnastics.  

A few years passed and I just dealt with the pain as chiro helped temporarily but never long term and Traditional Md offered nothing but meds. 

During those few years my daughter began progressing through the levels of gymnastics fairly quickly and her conditioning amd mobility work progressed as well. 

It was amazing how strong she and the girls on her team were, I re-evaluated my training and scrapped " bodybuilding " style workouts. 

I kept deadlifts, squats and bench press but that's it as far as weights.  I started hanging leg raises, pull-up variations, push up variations, dips, hand stand push-ups and other similar movements.  

I was burned out on " bodybuilding" training anyway and enjoyed what felt like a much more natural style of training. After all the body was designed to move itself through space. 

A couple years ago I heard coach Sommer on Tim Feeris Podcast and was incredibly interested.  When he talked about how terrible most adujts mobility was I realized that he was talking about me.  A decade of weights with no attention paid to mobility had really left me incredibly tight. 

I signed up for a suite of courses and have really enjoyed them.  My mobility is improving significantly and my lower back pain is gone.  

My goals are to master every GST course available.  I realize this will take a long time, and that's fine with me. 

One of the cool things is that my daughter and I train together sometimes.  As a dad it's pretty awesome to be able to actually do some of what she can do and to share in that Together.  

She is 11 years old and a level 8 gymnast training for level 9, so if you are familiar with that, I can't do much of anything compared to her, but it's pretty cool to be able to condition together and play around together.  

I am really looking forward to learning and progressing and am 100 percent happy with the GB courses. 

Sorry for the massive tome! If anyone read to the bottom of this post.... kudos!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Pauline Taube

Welcome to the GB community, Jerry!

Feel free to share your progress with us, we'd love to follow your GST journey :D 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

That's a great story! And so good that you can train with your daughter. ....as long as she doesn't say "Dad....all you have to do is THIS" <perfect split> :) 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1