Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cold Showers for Ice Bath Substitute?

Hayden.M.

I know that pro athletes do this probably all the time after training and an event (im refering to ice baths) but I simply dont have the time nor motivation (nor that much ice!) to do this after training. so i was wondering would it be as beneficial or just beneficial to have a cold shower after training for a few minutes and then carry on with my normal (warm shower) and what not?

I just had a COLD shower and I feel GREAT! so alive..! :D

Thanks,

Hayden

My wife takes icebaths after her long runs between half and full marathon distance. They only take 10 minutes and not very much ice (we use lunchbox icepacks or something like that -- we refreeze them after using them and then use them again). We only use it for legs though. It helps with soreness the next day.

I looked into the cold shower idea a while back, because I just don't like icebaths. It invigerates, but doesn't do the same thing as an icebath. Experiment and let me know. :)

The full body stuff is a bit different and I am not familiar with that. I will stick with my hot showers and massage ;)

Coach Sommer

The ice bath is far more effective due to the exposure to a much lower temperature. My personal favorite use of this therapy is to alternate steam room (10-15 min) with ice bath/cold plunge (5-7 minutes) for an hour or two.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Scott Malin

Aye, try the ice bath and you won't wonder if there's a difference :D The temperature of the ice bath makes it way more effective. Absolute worst though is the whirlpool in our athletic training room. Had to spend ten minutes with a leg in it last year and can't even begin to explain that kind of pleasure. I still get chills walking by it.

Hmm, once the spa is working I should be able to try that, Coach S. Seeing as it's probably in the 40's or so outside.