Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Circuit training for trimming fat

Longshanks

I'm wanting to trim down a bit of fat I've gotten in the time I've been injured and just wanted to see if anyone else tried anything similar and the results. So far I've just been doing isometrics for the last 4 months to rehabilitate my injuries in a range of places with great results, but you dont seem to burn a lot of calories doing it. In testing my strength at the end of the most recent SSC it seems I can handle dynamic press-ups, squats, calf raises and rows again (feet on ground and body at about 30degrees). I cant quite handle running or swimming yet due to knee/shoulder injury and don't wanna push it yet. I was thinking of just doing circuits of 5 of each (including crunches too) and repeating until I collapse (hopefully totaling 50-100 of each) once I've finished my isometric work to try and actually get my heart rate up and get some fitness back. I can do harder variations but I think the high reps might help with getting over the final hurdle injury wise.

Has anyone tried anything like this along with static holds? Did it impede your strength work or not?

i wouldn't recomend you do any strength work if you cant swim due to joint problems. You have to able to let them rest and repair just remember to eat well and wait till the joints healed then when you can swim do that for rehabilitation i would recomend anything like crunches or press ups though

The reason I can't do swimming is just because I can't do overhead movements without aggravating my rotator cuff. I just don't wanna try running due to the pounding on the knees. All of the exercises are at about 50% of may max strength that I'm capable of doing in isometrics. Woke up today with my muscles a lot more sore than they have been in a while but doesn't seem to have aggravated my old injuries. I only did about 4 sets of 5 of each though. Didn't really want to push my luck too much.

What do you think would be reasonable increases to make in future workouts? Maybe an extra set of 5 each week or each workout? (I'm doing all this 3 times a week).

As far as diets concerned I already eat very healthily (Just fruit, veg, yogurt, sandwich, gallons of water & meal for tea + protein drink on training days). I have gradually cut my calories by 800 a day over the last month by having 1 less sandwich a day and drinking a lot less milk with very little difference.

Its a tough one with both knees and rotator cuff. Two things that come to mind are mild kettlebell swings, and/or jump rope. It will at least get your heart pumping and metabolism up.

I love doing high rep deep knee bends (the old school term for bodyweight squats) many of the low stress, high rep movements can be great for rehab. Wall push ups, standing rows are also great for the shoulders.

As far as diets concerned I already eat very healthily (Just fruit, veg, yogurt, sandwich, gallons of water & meal for tea + protein drink on training days). I have gradually cut my calories by 800 a day over the last month by having 1 less sandwich a day and drinking a lot less milk with very little difference.

Because you're eating all carbs...

low carb is best for fat loss

Put most of carbs into PWO period